Chapter 30

Indrajith was sipping his cup of coffee when the police jeep entered his compound. Indrajith placed the glasses to his eyes to see who it was as he couldn't see very well without his glasses. As soon as it was confirmed that a police car had just entered his compound, Indrajith stood up from his chair to go inside due to fear as he did not know why the police were here. But just before he stepped foot into the house, Nikhil called him from behind. "Mr Indrajith, please stop."

In embarrassment, Indrajith slowly turned and gave an awkward smile to Nikhil. "Hello sir" Indrajith greeted Nikhil trying his best to remain calm.

"So Indrajith, you may have guessed why we are here" Nikhil said, coming straight to the point. "No sir, actually I don't have a clue why you are here" he said stuttering. "Let's go in then" Nikhil said as he and his team entered the house followed by Indrajith. Soon Lalitha and Devi came out of their rooms hearing the noise.

"Please take a seat" Nikhil requested Indrajith with a smirk. "Sir, please let us know why you are here" Lalitha asked the police officer with fear and curiosity to know why they were here.

"We are here as a part of the investigation behind your daughter Arpana's accident" Nikhil replied.

"Oh" was the only word which came out of Lalitha's mouth.

"But sir, how are we related to our daughter's accident. I don't understand the point behind coming here for the investigation" Indrajith butted in.

"We'll soon find out the reason why I'm here in a few hours, in fact maybe even minutes. So Mr. Indrajith I am going to ask you a few questions, give me answers honestly and sincerely" Nikhil said.

So after a brief pause, Nikhil opened his mouth and asked Indrajith what role he had played in Arpana's accident. As soon as Nikhil asked him that, his eyes widened.

"I ... have ....no... role in it. Why would I do something like that to my daughter?" Indrajith asked nervously.
"Well that's my question. Why would you do that to your daughter?" Nikhil said this time louder making Devi flinch. "Sir, I have no role in it!!" Indrajith again repeated. No matter how many times Nikhil tried to make Indrajith confess the truth, he was failing. Therefore, Nikhil decided to present the evidence to speed up the process.
"Mr Indrajith, this is the visuals of you talking to the person who drove the lorry. In this we can see money being exchanged between you two and you giving instructions to him. If you want to, I can present more evidence but it'll do you no favour. So Indrajith, what's your motive behind this?"

But Indrajith was a strong and determined man. He very well knew how to play it safe. Nikhil was eventually fed up because Indrajith kept on making the old lame excuses. Just when Nikhil lifted his arms to slap him, Lalitha muttered something, making Nikhil freeze for a second.

'She is not our daughter'

"What??" Nikhil asked and edged closer to Lalitha.

"Arpana is not our daughter!!" Lalitha shouted to Nikhil and broke down onto the floor. Devi's eyes widened hearing the new information. She didn't know how to digest this information.

Nikhil gave Lalitha a few seconds to compose herself. Once she was a little calmer, Nikhil asked her story behind it.
But Lalitha kept on crying, testing Nikhil's patience.
"Sir, she's lying. Arpana is my daughter and I was not behind that accident!!" Just as Indrajith said this Nikhil slapped him tightly and asked him to shut his mouth.

"Open your mouth Mrs Lalitha and tell me!! Come on!" Nikhil screamed, he wanted the truth out at any cost.

"Arpana is my cousin Bhanumathi's daughter" just when Lalitha said this, Indrajith gestured her to shut it but Lalitha had enough of this. She wanted the world to know the truth.