Chapter 10

Author’s POV.....

"Arjun" Arpana called out to which he looked up. Seeing Arpana come across him was a shock to him. "Arpana, why are you here?" Arjun asked her trying not to choke.

Arpana didn't know what reason to give him. She told him the first thing that crossed her mind. "I came looking for you because Amma said you are not answering her calls. Can you go and see her or give her a call instead of stressing everyone out" Arpana told him angrily and decided to leave.

"Arpana please don't leave, can I talk to you about you yesterday?" Arjun requested her.

"No Arjun, there is nothing to say. Your horrible actions cannot be justified in any manner" Arpana said and walked even further away from him.

"Arpana, please give me a chance" Arjun broke down into tears, somehow this melted her heart. "Ok" she replied coldly. “But I'm not comfortable here," she said. "I can understand, if you want to let's go to the opposite lake. It's a quiet place" he said to which she agreed.

For a long time, both of them were standing near the lake very quietly. "Arjun if you need to speak anything then go ahead, I can't stand waiting here for ages. I might not give you another chance after this" Arpana said.

"Arpana, I am not cheap as you are thinking. What happened yesterday was due to alcohol" he said.

"You have already told me this and whether or not it was due to alcohol you have no right to touch a woman’s body without her permission" Arpana blurted out.

Arjun's narration

"Arpana I am sorry. Before I tell you what actually happened that day, I think it will be better if you have an understanding of my past". 

"My late wife Anjali was the daughter of Prabhu and Yamini. You might have heard of them. They are one of the most influential families here. Anjali was an MBA graduate. I met her at one of my friends' weddings. I was the groomsman and she was the bridesmaid. I had noticed her that day but after that day, we had no contact with each other for 6 months. Six months later, I saw Anjali at a cafe. When we saw that day, we reminisced about our memories and exchanged numbers. Eventually without realising she became a big part of my life. My world totally revolved around her. I was working full time and Anjali was working in Mumbai during the first few years of our relationship and I decided to propose to Anjali and get married after 2 years of dating.

I still remember that day very well. On July 14th I proposed to her. After that we both decided to talk to our parents regarding it. My parents were totally fine with it but Anjali's parents declined instantly. I was from a middle class family. For them I didn’t deserve their daughter.  So after knowing our relationship, Anjali's family fixed her marriage with someone else. She was in house arrest till her marriage, meaning she had no phone or anything to contact me. Eventually, with the help of our common friends, Anjali and I eloped the day before her wedding and got married. Anjali's father cursed us a lot for it. In fact, he broke all ties with us for which Anjali was really sad about.

Anjali and I lived happily together for 3 years. The only drawback was my work. I had to be away from her a lot and most of the time. But whenever we spent time with each other, it was much like heaven. Our happiness increased when we found out Anjali was pregnant.