Chapter 46

Author's POV...

Arpana blinked and blinked, unable to believe what just happened.

Manoj and Vihan were lying on the floor taking their final breath. They were covered in blood and were looking at Arpana as if they were trying to communicate something.
Arjun quickly closed Diya's eyes using his palms.

Nikhil dropped the gun onto the floor after shooting the two criminals. Never in his career as a police officer, there has come a need to use his service revolver.

Of course, it was a draft of a brilliant police officer to leave his sister and niece alone in a situation like this but sometimes people do accidentally make mistakes. However, ever since Nikhil saw the messages exchanged between Vihan and Sakshi, he had informed his squad to be prepared for an encounter regardless of what time it is. When Nikhil and Arjun returned from the restaurant the sight in front of Nikhil was extremely horrid and nerve wrecking but instead of rushing into anything Nikhil wisely took out his service revolver from the car and without a second thought he shot Manoj and Vihan multiple times from the back.

"Nikhil!" Arpana gently said as he dropped his revolver onto the floor. She was scared! Of course the bastards deserved to die but fear clouded her mind thinking how badly this could impact her brother's future. And just like that Arpana broke down into more tears. The whole incident just traumatised her more than anything.

Arjun slowly walked in front of Arpana, knelt down and put his hand around her shoulders to comfort her. As a response Arpana leaned her head onto Arjun's chest, wrapped her hands around Arjun and cried.
Seeing Arpana cry like this just triggered Diya more. She wouldn't stop her tears as well no matter what. Arjun was in a helpless state as well as he didn't know what step to take next.

Together the family of three cuddled each other and cried.
Nikhil watched them and wiped away the few drops of tears that were trying to roll down his eyes.
Nikhil didn't know how to process his act. The only thing he knew was that Nikhil had to do this for his sister. In front of others, it may be wrong but morally and being a police officer, Nikhil did the right thing. If it was not for him who would save and protect his sister?

Nikhil wasn't sure what was awaiting him next but he knew he was not afraid to face it.

..................

2 years later

..................

It has been two years since that hideous incident. After that incident, Deepak made Arjun and Arpana attend regular counselling sessions with one of most leading psychologists in town. In the beginning they were attending the sessions quite frequently in a week. Eventually it had reduced and slowly once they were healed both emotionally and physically they're no longer seeking the help.

Of course Nikhil had to face a few trials in the court but eventually Nikhil was let free by the court as Manoj's and Vihan's intentions were proven to be dangerous in the court and because a police officer legally has the right to encounter a dangerous criminal, especially if they have a weapon to attack a innocent person. However, Nikhil was suspended for 6 months as he did the act when he was off duty.

..................

Nikhil and Sakshi were pronounced as divorced today. For the final formalities they had arrived at the court. After signing the final papers, Nikhil and Sakshi were coming out of the courtroom. Sakshi had tears in her eyes. Nikhil managed to show no expressions, even though he was burning from the inside.

Just when Nikhil opened the door to his car Sakshi called out Nikhil's name with a lot of hesitation. When she said his name Nikhil turned around and saw Sakshi.