Chapter 26

"And the killer is already in that cell right now"

Deepak said pointing at Manoj's cell.

"Mr.Deepak, stop talking nonsense!!" Lakshmi screamed at Deepak. "Are you challenging an efficient police officer like me?"

"I am not challenging anyone. I want the real culprit behind the bars, not an innocent person" Deepak replied with arrogance.

"Prakash, bring Manoj right now!!" Lakshmi screamed at a fellow police officer. The police officer then immediately opened Manoj's cell and brought him to the office.

"So Mr Manoj, Deepak who is Arjun's brother, is accusing you for Anjali's murder. What do you have to say? Are you agreeing or denying?" Lakshmi asked Manoj.

Manoj was sweating and trembling in fear. After more prompts from Lakshmi, Manoj slowly opened his mouth and said "I am denying madam!! This Deepak is a psycho, he is talking nonsense!!! Why would I kill my Anjali?"

"Don't you dare lie you bastard!!" Deepak screamed as he grabbed Manoj's collar. As Deepak lifted his hands to slap Manoj, Lakshmi stopped Deepak. "You have no right to manhandle someone, especially in a police station. Also Mr Deepak, to back up your allegations, you do not have any evidence. So get lost and if you don't leave and create more drama, I will put you behind the bars with numerous charges" Lakshmi threatened Deepak.

"Stop fucking threatening me!!" Deepak replied in anger and he then said "are you blind Miss Lakshmi Prasad? Check out the fucking evidence I have placed on your table. For such a promising police officer, you sure can use your power to use it against an innocent person instead of looking for an evidence".

Lakshmi had totally forgotten about the evidence Deepak gave her which she felt slightly embarrassed for. Without making eye contact with anyone, Lakshmi walked closer to her table and picked up a USB stick and played it on the computer. In the video, it was clearly seen that Manoj was tampering with the brake of Arjun's car. "Unfortunately that day, my mother picked up Anjali's phone and heard some guy who's not Arjun saying something like "hey baby come soon I'm missing you". After hearing this my mother questioned Anjali and slapped her. To escape her, Anjali ran out of the house and used Arjun's car and met with an accident because of the brake. Just when Anjali had escaped my mother, she rang Arjun and informed him everything including the slap. This is why Arjun hates our mother. He thinks if our mother wouldn't have approached Anjali, she wouldn't have died. Everyone in our family got to know that Anjali had an affair with someone" Deepak said looking at Arjun who was listening to everything his brother was saying intently.

Deepak then again said "Manoj had hampered most of the CCTV's but luckily he forgot to hamper one which was behind an elevator and luckily it had all the evidence. The car had only gone for service just a few days before the incident, so I became suspicious of how the brakes of the car will be faulty. So as part of my mini investigation, I checked the CCTV'S and found this. When Vadina met with an accident, I had a doubt that it could be someone who had an affair with Anjali to take revenge for her death but it was this person. I decided to submit the evidence once I found out who he was, but fortunately, he fell into his own trap. All this time I was searching for Manoj as I did not know the person. When Anjali met with the accident, I had a gut feeling that it would be her father or brother but I found out it was Manoj" Deepak confirmed all of their suspicions. 'So that's the reason why Arjun hated his mother' Arpana thought.

Arjun or Arpana was not in a position to react. It was too much for both of them! They stood there helplessly watching everything that was happening around them...

Lakshmi Prasad shook her head in embarrassment. All these years she believed she was an efficient police officer but today she was proven wrong. "Manoj, you cannot deny it now. You probably did not want Anjali to die but Anjali directly but she died because of you" Lakshmi said. She then looked at Arjun apologetically.