Stella & The Socialite

Chapter 3

It was a sunny Saturday morning here in Manhattan. The birds were chirping, the weather was calm, and everything seemed pleasant. Well, that couldn't have been more wrong. I had to meet with Julius today for brunch and I wasn't very happy about it.

We had met only a few days ago when our parents forced me to meet with him here in the house. I had preferred if I never had to see him again, but we needed to figure out how to shake this whole marriage idea.

I wore a long puffy-sleeved white off-the-shoulder blouse and light blue jeans that cuffed at my ankles with nude heels. It seemed acceptable for the ever-changing spring weather. I wore my hair in a high ponytail and wore light makeup before heading down the stairs. "And where are you off to?" My mom asks.

"Brunch." Is all I say, if I were to mention Julius she might get too excited. "Okay well, Josephine's mother called. They're back in town and are coming over to visit." I internally groan. Josephine was my childhood friend, but as we grew older I couldn't stand her anymore. The Adams have been friends with my family for years and they moved out of New York to California when Josephine and I were in high school. They came to New York every once in a while for various reasons.

I smile at my mother, "Sounds delightful." I grab my keys and head outside to my car.

I arrive at the restaurant precisely at 12 pm and look around to see if Julius was anywhere. I let the waitress seat me at a table and I begin waiting for him. Five minutes later he arrives inside the restaurant, he spots me and smiles as he approaches me. "You're late." I say as he takes a seat. He looks at his watch, "It's only 12:05."

I nod, "Precisely, I said be here at 12."

He chuckles, "I'm sorry, I was parking. Let's get down to business shall we?" I nod tossing my menu to the side. "Do you have any interest in taking over your father's company or any others?" I ask.

He nods, "I will take over Ashford Industries when he steps down, but that's all. Why do you ask?"

"Just checking." I look around the restaurant casually avoiding eye contact. "You look beautiful." He comments.

I ignore his compliment, "So what's the plan? We didn't come here to chit chat."

He chuckles, "I was thinking we should let this play out until the end, then split up before the wedding." I shake my head, "All that would do is push our parents to find someone else later."

"Not if it's a big controversial breakup."

I quirk my eyebrow, "What are you implying?"

"If we wait this out long enough, get enough exposure, and let the press expose our nasty break up, I'll practically be blackballed in the dating game." He says happily.

"Yes, I've noticed you already have a reputation. But what would happen to me?" I ask.

He smirks, "Well Stella, you already have quite the reputation yourself with the men in Wall Street."

I quirk my brow, "I do?"

He nods, "Thomas Page had some unkind things to say about you after your date."

I scoff, "That misogynistic rat."

He chuckles, "Care to tell me why you poured water on him?"

"No, I do not care to do that. I like your idea, but what could I possibly do to make myself less desirable for marriage?" I ask.

"You wouldn't have to do anything, and frankly I don't think you could be less desirable." He winks.

I roll my eyes internally, "Focus, please. What did you have in mind?"