Playboy & The Meeting

Chapter 39

Julius

"I have your coffee Mr. Ashford." My assistant says as she rushes into my office.

"Is knocking not a thing anymore?" I ask in irritation as I review the paperwork in front of me.

Her eyes widen in realization, "I'm so sorry sir. I was trying to get your coffee on time. Next time I'll be sure to knock. I won't forget-"

I raise my hand to stop her rambling. Her mouth closes immediately as I let out a frustrated sigh. "It's okay Amelia. You're excused."

She nods quickly and scurries out of the room, causing her heels to click against the ground noisily. I run my hand over my face as I look over my work.

For the past six months, it had been nonstop work. I thought it would help me get over Stella but it only reminded me of her. It didn't help to have to constantly meet with her father every month either.

I tried to ask about her, but he never told me anything. I'm sure he didn't have anything to tell, he hardly paid attention to her. From the grapevine I had heard she moved to Boston, working for some new company. But I didn't bother to reach out and find her. She wanted nothing to do with me and I had to respect it.

But I missed her, I really did. She was so good to me, good for me. Penny reminded me every time we saw each other that I had fumbled the ball big time. I could only hope she was doing good. I hope she's happy, but it hurts knowing it'll be without me.

"Mr. Ashford your 2:30 is here." My assistant says from the intercom.

I take a deep breath before moving some papers to the side, "Let him in."

"A great opportunity has risen Mr. Ashford." Gary says in a cheery voice.

Gary was always happy. I hated Gary.

"And that is?" I ask.

He presses the button on the remote in his hand, displaying a projection onto the screen in front of us. "Taylor Industries. A company of vast industrial machines. From agricultural equipment to assemble line machines. Founded in 1982-"

"Get on with it Gary." I interrupt impatiently.

He nods before pressing the button in his hand and skipping about ten slides. "We sent in an offer about a few weeks ago and they just sent their approval."

I raise my brow, "Who is we? I don't recall giving authorization on this."

"Yes but sir it's such a great opportunity. Here in my presentation, you can see how much our companies value increases after the partnership." He says nervously as he points to the PowerPoint.

I frown, "I'm going to ask you again. Who approved this without my permission?"

"It was Mr. Ratliff sir!" Gary exclaims in a frightened manner.

I gently massage my temple to hold my anger. "Out." I respond calmly.

Gary scurries out of the room as I press the intercom button. "Call in Ratliff for me." I tell my assistant.

"Will do sir."

I tap the bottom of my shoe impatiently against the ground as I wait for the idiot to arrive. Ratliff, exactly what he is, a rat. I hated the guy, and I hated that I had to work with him. Per my father's wishes, he continued to be employed. As well as promoted.

A few moments later he strolls in, a smug look on his face. "You called for me?"

"You approved this offer without my knowledge?"