Stella & The Truth

Chapter 8

I woke up much earlier than I usually do on a Sunday morning. Probably because I woke up in an unfamiliar environment. I got up around 9 am and entered the bathroom to freshen up. A pack of unopened toothbrushes sat on the counter for me to use to brush my teeth.

After washing my face I threw on my hoodie from yesterday and headed downstairs. The foyer was still in the process of being restored after the events of last night. I rubbed my eyes tiredly and entered the living room where Mrs. Ashford sat on the couch reading a book. "Oh good morning Stella." She says as she notices me.

"Good morning Mrs. Ashford." I say as I take a seat next to her.

"You need to stop with the formalities, we're family now. Call me Tanya, I insist."

I smile at her, "Okay Tanya."

She laughs, "I am so excited to have you become a part of the family. You're such a sweet girl, smart too. I heard you basically run your father's company."

"Who did you hear that from?" I ask curiously.

"Your mother, of course. She has so many wonderful things to say about you."

I smile, "She's a wonderful woman, I take after her mostly."

She sighs, "I've never had a daughter, but I love my Julius so much. He's such a dependable hard working man, just like his father." She turns to me, "Here I go droning on again, what would you like for breakfast sweetie?"

I shrug, "Anything's fine really, I'm not picky."

She smiles, "Great because it smells like food is ready." Mrs. Ashford leads me to the dining area where the table was set for four people. Lucille and two other kitchen workers were bringing in dishes of breakfast foods and placing them on the table. I take a seat across from Mrs. Ashford. "My husband and son should be down shortly." She says as she takes her seat and I nod in response.

"I saw the other night my son gifted you a new piece of jewelry."

I nod, "Yes, a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet."

She chuckles, "Get used to that, he's a big spender."

"Are you ladies talking about me?" Julius says as he enters the room wearing a simple white button-up. He gives his mother a kiss on the cheek before taking a seat next to me. "Good morning sweetie." He says as he sits down.

I smile at him, even though I was still pissed about yesterday. "Good morning honey."

"Where is your father?" Mrs. Ashford asks.

"He's coming down now." Julius responds.

As if on cue Mr. Ashford enters the room, dressed in his suit and tie. "Good morning all." He says as he takes a seat next to his wife.

Food begins getting passed around as everyone starts to fill up their plates. I take two slices of French toast, scrambled eggs, and turkey bacon before filling my glass with orange juice. "Can you pass the syrup?" I ask Julius quietly. He nods before handing it to me.

"So Stella, how did you do enjoy the party?" Mr. Ashford asks as he serves himself a bowl of oatmeal. I nod, "It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed meeting so many new people."

"I know it must've been very stressful for you. My son loves to create stressful situations for himself."

I chuckle, "Oh yes I've noticed that, and for others too."

Julius narrows his eyes at me and I ignore him. "Julius dear how was the party for you?" Mrs. Ashford asks. He nods, "I had a lot of fun, felt very productive as well."