Stella & The Interview

Chapter 36

Boston felt like a breath of fresh air compared to the familiar sights of New York. I felt more than ready for this job interview.

I paced across my hotel room making sure I knew everything I needed to know. Julius wasn't even on my mind at the moment, despite constantly interrupting my thoughts for the past two weeks while I was still in New York.

I was ready to blow the CEO away and Julius was going to be a thing of the past. I reapplied my mascara before grabbing my purse and straightening my skirt. It was my time, and I wasn't going to blow it.

I take a cab to the Taylor Industries corporate office and step into the building confidently. "I'm here for an interview with James Lewis." I tell the secretary.

"Top floor on your left." The secretary says as she chews on her pen. I smile politely before heading toward the elevator. As I get in, I watch the doors close in anticipation before a hand stops it and enters.

A tall man enters the elevator. He wasn't taller than Julius, and not as handsome. His light skin and strong features helped, making him still fairly handsome. His large hands press the button for the third floor before giving a flirty smile and standing beside me.

"I haven't seen your beautiful face around here before. First day?" He asks.

"Job interview." I respond curtly. The last thing I wanted was to get involved with another man.

"Ooh, what position? Secretary? Temp?"

I look at him in disgust, before ignoring him completely and he chuckles. Thankfully the elevator dings as it brings us to his floor. "Well, this is my stop. Hope you get the secretary job." He says with a smirk and a wink before getting off the elevator.

I roll my eyes as the elevator closes. "Sexist jerk." I mutter.

I arrive at the top floor and hurriedly head to the receptionist desk there. "I'm Stella Harris, here for an interview with James Lewis."

The secretary nods before pressing a button on her desk, "Your 10 am is here." She looks up at me again, "You can go in now."

I say a brief thank you before heading toward the large oak doors. I knock softly before hearing a deep voice telling me to enter.

An older Caucasian man, with dark hair striped with streaks of grey from old age. "Stella Harris, a pleasure to finally meet you."

I smile at him as I shake his hand, "The pleasure is mine Mr. Lewis." 

He chuckles, "Please just call me James. Let's get started, shall we? Have a seat." I nod before doing as told and sitting across from him as he looks over the computer screen. "You have quite the amount of accomplishments Ms. Harris."

"Thank you. I have been working in this field for quite some time now."

He nods, "I see that, from intern to operations manager. But I'm sure the fact that it's your father's company helped you significantly."

I chuckle nervously, "You would think so, but no he wasn't the biggest fan of my presence."

"Your father has said a lot of things about you, Ms. Harris." He says as he leans back into his seat. I nod in response, feeling unsure about how this is going. "But after some further research, it is evident that you were the companies driving force." He pauses, "I'm looking for someone who is a natural leader, someone with fresh ideas, and works well with others. I am also particularly looking for a woman."

I quirk my brow, "May I ask why?"

He chuckles, "When you came up here today. What did you notice?"

I take a moment to think before responding. "I noticed a lot of productive employees?"