Stella & The Proposal

Chapter 4

Things were starting to happen so fast. Julius and I were announcing the confirmed engagement to our parents tonight at dinner. Both sides were expecting it to happen but the question was when, and now here it is.

I felt extra on edge at work today, despite it being a laid-back Friday. I knew it wasn't a real engagement between Julius and I, but we were supposed to make everyone think it was real. I was supposed to actually be engaged!

I fiddled with my pen nervously as Victor presented his finalized finance report to the rest of the department. "Any questions?" He asks as he turns off the projector.

Sheila raises her hand next to ask a question and I end up zoning out. Would I be able to pull this off tonight? What if my parents don't believe it? Or what if they believe it so much that they make us get married immediately?

"Stella?" A voice says snapping me back to reality.

I look up to see everyone looking at me. "What is it?" I ask.

"There's a call for you in your office." A woman says from the doorway.

I stand up and nod, "Great job on the report." I tell Victor before leaving the conference room. I enter my office and pick up the phone. "This is Stella Harris, who am I speaking with?"

"Your fiancé whose phone calls you keep ignoring."

I groan at the sound of his beautifully husky voice, "Why are you calling my office?" I ask.

"You refuse to answer your cell phone." He complains.

"Because these are working hours Julius. Now if you'll excuse me I have work to do." Before I can hang up he stops me. "I called for a reason, we need to meet before the dinner tonight."

"For what?" I ask.

"To get things situated, make sure we're on the same page with everything."

I sigh, "Okay fine, where did you want to meet?"

"I'll send you the address."

"I'm not going to some random address, where are we meeting?" I ask questioningly.

"For crying out loud Stella it's my address."

"I don't want to go to your house." I protest.

He sighs frustratedly, "I'm sending you the address, and you'll meet me there after work." He says before proceeding to hang up. I gasp, that jerk! We'll see if I show up.

The workday goes by rather quickly after that and I begin packing up my things in the office. I pull out my cell phone to check what address Julius had sent. The time was 5 pm exactly and dinner was expected at 7:30 pm, which didn't leave me much time to meet with Julius and get ready. So I decided to go home and get dressed first.

As I'm on my way out of the office I hear a voice calling out from behind me. I turn around to see Gregg following me quickly. "What is it, Gregg?" I ask.

When he finally approaches me he smiles, "I was wondering if you had any plans for this evening? Or sometime this week? Maybe we could have dinner?" He asks.

I smile a fake apologetic smile at him, "I'm sorry, I have an engagement dinner to attend tonight."

"Oh, that's cool. A friend?" He asks.