Stella & The Peace Offering

Chapter 6

The engagement party was just days away and I had never felt so on edge. The stress from the engagement dinner was one thing, but a whole engagement party? There were going to be so many guests and people from the media for this high-class event. I was not used to things like this. My father's company was successful, but our family was hardly in the media. The Ashford's however, were very familiar with the limelight.

I never really paid attention to them because I simply didn't care, but the media certainly had. Ashford Industries produces and distributes power generation products, filtration, and engines. They work and trade with a lot of big-name companies like Samsung and Toyota, making them very successful. The Ashford's spent a lot of time in the public eye thanks to the growing success of their company.

My father's company focused on producing specialty products for different engineering companies, which was still successful, just not as known. Growing up we didn't have to attend several events and my father wasn't required to make many public appearances. But Oscar Ashford was, and his son did the same as he grew up.

So the idea of this huge engagement party with lots of people and lots of press was normal for Julius, but not me.

I was freaking out.

I tapped on my desk with my pen nervously as I tried to do my work for the day. A knock on my door snaps me out of my trance as I look over at the glass door. Sheila appeared with files in her hands as I motioned for her to come in.

"I have these for you to sign." She says as she lays them on my desk. I nod at her, giving her a quick thank you before turning back to the computer screen. "Are you okay?" She asks.

I nod again not taking my eyes off the computer, "Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?"

"You've seemed really on edge lately. Is this about the party? I heard about it online." I sigh, finally putting the pen down and looking up at her. "I'm just nervous about the press. I'm not used to being in the limelight. If I say or do the wrong thing they could twist my words and make my life hell."

Sheila chuckles, "Then don't say anything. It's your party, give them a few good pictures and that's it."

I smile, "Maybe you're right. I mean I don't have to talk, just look good."

She nods, "Exactly, so find an amazing dress and blow them away." I look up at her, "Did you get an invite Sheila? I wasn't in charge for once so I don't know who did."

She shakes her head, "I didn't expect to, it seems so high class."

"Don't be silly, I want you there. That's if you want to come of course?" I ask her.

She smiles, "Okay I'd love to."

"Great, I'll get you in."

The workday continued to go on and I felt a bit better about the party. After work, my mom had scheduled a fitting with one of her favorite stylists to find me a dress for the party. We arrived at the boutique about an hour after I had gotten home from work.

"Lisa! Darling!" The stylist calls out with a light French accent as we enter the room. "Marcelle!" My mother calls back. They hug and air kiss before his attention turns to me. "And you must be the fabulous Stella!" He runs over to me before surveying my appearance with his eyes. "Spin darling." He requests. I quirk my brow but do as told and spin for the energetic man.

He smiles as he looks at me, "You my darling are fabulous! You must get it from your mother." My mother blushes from behind him, "Oh stop Marcelle!"

I chuckle, "Thank you."

He nods before strutting away and bringing out a rack of dresses. "These are my finest, just for you!" He says bringing me closer to it. "Try them all on!" He encourages excitedly.