Stella & The Liar

Chapter 33

"I swear if you decided to wear a trash bag it would still look good." Julius says as I walk into the living room. His eyes were full of adoration, and a hint of lust as I entered.

"So you're saying my dress is ugly?" I ask with a quirked brow as I approach him in my white reflective dress.

He shakes his head quickly, "No baby your dress is beautiful. And you look beautiful! You're always-" I cut off his rambling with my lips on his for a gentle kiss.

"It's getting really hard not to say the L-word." He says softly as I pull away.

I smile before taking his hand, "Come on, it's time to celebrate." I lead him out of the apartment and down the elevator to his car parked outside. "I'll drive!" I call out as I grab his keys.

"You don't even know where we're going." He says before taking them back. I pout as I realize he's right and take a seat on the passenger's side.

The drive was short, and we arrive at my parent's house. "What are we doing here?" I ask in confusion.

"Your mom wanted us to stop by to pick up your gift." He gets out of the car before coming around and opening my door. I take his outstretched hand as he helps me out of the car.

"Why did she tell you and not me?" I ask curiously as we walk up the short steps.

He shrugs as we arrive at the door. He places his hand on the doorknob before opening it. As soon as we walked in several figures came out of nowhere yelling out the words, "Surprise!"

I gasp in shock as I notice all of the familiar faces. Penny, Jerrell, and Hailey. Sheila, Victor, and Julius's two friends who I forget the names of. My mother (thankfully without my father) and Julius's mother (also without his father). Even little Isaiah was in my mother's arms wearing a party hat.

I held back tears at all the people that came together to do this for me. "Don't you cry, I didn't wear waterproof mascara." My mother says with a chuckle as her eyes begin to water as well.

I fan my face trying to prevent the tears as Julius hugs me from behind, "Happy birthday baby." He kisses my cheek as everyone awes and a camera flashes.

"Thank you." I whisper as he pulls me into a hug.

The party was intimate, much like the ones Julius had told me he used to have as a child. Just good friends and family, that was all. We danced, we talked, we ate. I was having so much fun, and I was so grateful to him. I watched him as he talked with his friends in the corner, laughing with that gorgeous smile of his. Maybe I did love him.

"You look like a lovesick puppy." Penny teases as she approaches me with a drink in her hand.

"Nobody has ever gone to such lengths for me before. And I'm not just talking about this party."

She chuckles, "Well the big dope is helplessly in love with you."

I sigh, "Yeah, he is isn't he?"

"That's what I said." She says in a confused tone.

I laugh before shoving her gently as she smiles. Hailey plops down next to me on the couch, "Your mom says it's cake time." She says with a happy smile.

I nod before standing up as the girls follow. A pretty pink double-stacked cake with the words 'Happy birthday Stella!' written on it and pink frosted roses all over was brought out to the foyer.

Julius lit the candles before everyone began to sing happy birthday. "Make a wish baby." Julius says once the singing ends. I smile before blowing out the candles and everyone cheers.