Stella & The Co-worker

Chapter 37

"Right over here guys." I tell the movers as I point toward my new living area.

It took some time but I found the most luxurious apartment here in Boston. It was near work, super spacious, and had two bedrooms.

"That is not the dining table I ordered!" I exclaim at the moving man that was carrying in a large oak dining table. He looks at me blankly as he places the table down. "I asked for walnut! Not oak, where is my table?"

He shrugs, "I don't know ma'am. I only carry the stuff."

I glare at him and before I can say anything in response Sheila cuts me off. "I'll get this sorted out Stell don't worry. Why don't you take a seat before you overstress yourself." She says with a nervous laugh as she walks me away from the mover man who I was still glaring at.

"Men." I grumble as we enter one of the bedrooms.

She chuckles, "Hey it probably really isn't his fault. I'll look into it, but you should stay right here."

I frown, "Why? I need to make sure everything goes smoothly."

"You have been doing that for the past few weeks. I think you need to take a minute to breathe Stella." She hands me a water bottle and sits me down on the bed.

"But the dining table!" I urge.

She shakes her head, "Sit."

I sigh before taking a drink of water. "Fine. But if anything goes wrong it's on you."

"I can handle it."

I watched her as she exited the bedroom, shutting the door behind her. She was right, I had been overworking myself lately. Work hadn't even started but I was distracting myself by trying to create the perfect home.

I got the apartment, ordered all new furniture, hired an interior designer for consultation, all to distract me from thinking about him. My first day of work was tomorrow and I was excited to dive myself into work again.

My mother was excited that I had found a new job, and I didn't bother telling my father but I was sure my mother did. I packed up all my things and flew them over to Boston, where I would be living on my own from now on.

The thought slightly scared me. I had always lived with someone, never completely by myself. In all honesty, I was scared of being alone. But I was 25 years old and I needed to grow up. But it didn't help that I picked the biggest apartment in the building to live in.

I heard a loud crash from outside my door and raced out of the room. When I came out into the hall nothing had seemed to break. Sheila looked at me with a smile, "Everything is okay. Go back inside." She assures. I stayed in the bedroom and ended up falling asleep after a while.

When I awoke the smell of Chinese food filled my nostrils. I got out of bed and entered the open kitchen area where Sheila was tidying up.

"I was just about to wake you up."

I pick up the takeout boxes to observe, "You ordered in?"

She nods, "I was starving, thought you'd be too."

"Thanks." I grab a box before sitting at the counter. She joins me before picking up chopsticks as I pick up a fork.

"You okay?" She asks softly.

I nod, "Of course. Why wouldn't I be? I'm finally starting my life."

"It's okay to be a little nervous Stell." She says as she toys around with her shrimp.