Chapter Eight: Diamond Ring

I took a sip of my orange juice and glanced up at Claire, who was happily munching on her lettuce. Eyeing the lettuce disgustedly, I asked her, "So are you serious with Xavier or is he another fling?"

She actually blushed and shrugged nonchalantly. "Well, he's a really nice guy..."

Kelly leaned closer to our table and narrowed her eyes at Claire. "Xavier, huh? I thought you don't like the guy? You say he's too much of a bad boy."

I raised an eyebrow at Claire, as if saying, 'I thought so, too.' "Yeah, you also told me that."

She waved her hand at us dismissively. "Ah well, people can change, girls. Just like Autumn changed."

For a moment, no one said anything. I cleared my throat and continued interrogating Claire. "But Xavier? Really? Why him? He's nothing special," I blurted out.

Claire dramatically gasped and gave me a look. "He is special, Autumn. Can't you see?"

I pursed my lips. "He's nothing but a bad boy to me."

"Amen, sister," Kelly said, raising her right thumb approvingly.

Claire pouted and crossed her arms across her chest. "But, guys, you should support me in this! Xavier is not another fling. I think I really like him... These past few weeks, I think he's been showing signs that he also likes me. I mean, we're classmates in Homeroom and last week, I caught him staring at me. Staring at me! Can you believe it? I thought he was just looking past at me but then, he really is staring at me. And the thing with that girl on my birthday -- what was her name again? Olivia? Anyway, I think he used that girl to make me jealous of her. And it worked! I was freaking jealous." Then she sighed dreamily. "He's just... perfect." With that, she threw us a look. "And you're not even supporting me."

As I expected, I didn't feel guilty but Kelly obviously did. She gasped, aghast, and grabbed Claire's hand. "I'm so, so, sorry! I didn't know you were totally serious about him... But, if I could ask... Why Xavier? I mean, you hated him since you laid your eyes on him."

"As I said, people change, Kelly. People change."

"But--"

"Enough," she dismissed. "I should have known you and Autumn are not going to support me in this."

"But we do!" Kelly argued. Then she turned around and gave me a warning stare. "Right, Autumn?"

I sighed. Well, what choice do I have, really? "Right," I said, faking a smile.

Claire narrowed her eyes at me. "By the way, Autumn, is it me or are you feeling... oh, I don't know, jealous?"

I froze and gave Claire a confusing frown. "What do you mean jealous?"

Kelly also turned to her. "Yeah, Claire. What do you mean?"

"Oh, nothing. You don't even want to talk about Xavier at the past. And now you're all about him. Are you ditching Sandor to have Xavier?" 

Kelly gasped and turned to me. "Is that true, Autumn?"

I bit my tongue to keep me from losing it right there. How dare she suggest that I'm ditching my boyfriend -- my boyfriend! -- to someone like Xavier! I know I found Xavier really, really handsome... but he's not really my type. I mean, bad boys? Really? My type was more of a gentleman guy... just like Sandor! 

But instead of yelling at her like I want to, I smiled at her sweetly. "I'm not ditching anyone for Xavier, Claire. I love Sandor very much, thank you."

She curled her lips in response. "Are you sure? I don't see you with him that often anymore."

Oh that nerve of that girl. "He's just busy that all. And he wants to give me space. He knows I'm still adjusting since I lost my memory."