Chapter Twenty: Blackmailing Boyfriend

“I missed school!” Olive sighed happily as the two of us walked in the hallways.

            I laughed. “You sound like a nerd.”

            She gave me a look. “Don’t talk as if you weren’t a nerd like me.”

            “Whatever. I’ve got to go somewhere, Olive… See you at lunch?” I suggested with a smile.

            “You’re going to talk with Sandor, aren’t you?”

            I shrugged. “Yeah. I’ll have to convince him that… that we really don’t belong with each other.”

            “My, my, that boy has some serious issues,” Olive muttered, rolling her eyes. “Well, I’ll see you later then.”

            I waved her goodbye then we parted ways. As I made my way to Sandor’s locker, I came across on a crying girl. Two girls were standing in front of her and I frowned. This seems like a memory – or something that I’ve been in before.

            “Hey!” I called their attention. The three of them turned and I was right with my hunches. A sharp breath escaped my lips. “Claire. Kelly.”

            Claire looked surprise to see me then a smile crossed her face. “Oh hello, Autumn. It’s been awhile, don’t you think? I knew you would run away just like you did before.”

            “I didn’t run away,” I said, crossing my arms. “There was something I need to do for the week. But enough about me. What are you doing to that poor girl?”

            Claire looked down at the crying girl, who whimpered and flinched. “Off with you. I’ll see you later.”

            The crying girl sniffed and picked up the books that were lying on the floor. Then she glanced at me one last time and left, still crying. I narrowed my eyes and raised an eyebrow. “You were torturing her the way you tortured me,” I accused.

            “I just had a little talk with her,” Olive said sweetly with a sickening smile. “She’s getting close with my boyfriend – or my boy toy, if you may.”

            “Why don’t you leave other people alone, huh? It doesn’t mean that you have a fucked-up life that you need to torture people everyday! You don’t know how they feel. What if people do that to you the other way around? I’m sure you wouldn’t like it.”

            Kelly stepped forward. “Autumn, I think you should leave if you don’t want any trouble.”

            “Kelly, we don’t back off to a fight,” Claire said, still looking at me. “So you think you’re so tough now, Autumn? Do you know who made you the person who you are today?”

            “Yes.”

            “Oh?”

            “It was Sandor, not you. The moment he made me his girlfriend… you tried to be close to me so that you would be close with him too. I know this even though I have amnesia, Claire. You’re not really that hard to read.”

            Claire’s jaw tightened as she glared at me hatefully, her eyes blazing angrily. “You-you bitch! We were your friends for two years and this is what you do to us? Throw us away just because you have freaking amnesia?”

            I faked a smile. “Don’t pretend that you were even a friend to me. You were never a friend to me.”

            With one final look at them, I left, my heels tapping furiously against the floor. When I was far enough, a breath escaped my lips. Then I smiled and pushed back my hair. That was the second time that I’ve talked to them like that and it feels good. As if I am really brave… like I could fight for myself.