Chapter Eighteen: Caught in Act

“I don’t want to go in this dinner,” Summer complained.

I gave her a look. “Summer, don’t be stupid. Mom and Dad are doing everything they could just for you to change your attitude towards them.”

“I don’t care—”

“Well, I do and so do they.”

Summer continued grumbling as she threw on her semi-formal dress. I stood up and walked in front of the mirror. I was wearing a green dress that brings out my eyes. My mom bought this for me – just so I could have something to wear in this formal dinner. She prepared a dinner for me, Summer and Dad. She wanted to bring us closer again and I was rather thrilled with this idea. However, Summer feels the opposite way.

This is our second-to-the-last night staying here in the resort. Olive and I couldn’t wait to go back to school (which makes us sound nerdier).

“This red dress looks horrible to me,” Summer complained.

“I think its okay,” I disagreed. “It matches your hair.”

“No it does not,” she grumbled. “This just proves that Mom don’t know how to choose clothes for her daughter.”

“Summer, come on. Give it a rest.”

“I’d give it a rest when I want to,” she shot back.

I glared at her. “Seriously, Summer, the least you could do is be compassionate towards them. I changed, too, just like them. But that doesn’t mean we could change again. What if our parents also wanted to change their ways? What if they want to be our parents again? But you’re just too stubborn to see it. You’re too hard and selfish to see that fact.”

She didn’t say anything and looked away. I sighed and walked to the door. “I’ll see you in the dining hall in five minutes. And don’t you dare ditch us.”

She continued ignoring me. I opened the door and slipped away. I turned right and bumped into someone, making me fall to my butt.

“Oops! Sorry!” the person who bumped me apologized.

I looked up and saw Xavier, who was looking over me worriedly. When he realized it was me, he smirked. “What are you doing in the floor?”

I rolled my eyes. “Are you going to help me up?”

He grabbed both of my arms and pulled me up. “I guess this is the part when you thank me,” he said meekly.

“Thank you, Xavier,” I said exaggeratedly.

He grinned. “No problem.” Xavier cleared his throat. “Um, what are you doing here wearing that?”

“I’m going to have a semi-formal dinner with my parents,” I replied, smiling.

“That’s great. So they really are trying to change their ways,” he said thoughtfully.

“Uhuh. But Summer doesn’t want to trust them again…”

“I can see why she feels that way,” he muttered.

I frowned. “Huh?”

Xavier shook his head. “Nothing. You wouldn’t understand, anyway.”

“I’m sure I could try.”

“I know you wouldn’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“I rather don’t.”

I pouted at him playfully. “Xavier—”

“Just meet me in the pool after you eat dinner, okay? I want to give you something.”