Chapter Nine: Friends Again... Well, Almost

"No, I can't remember me giving you a diamond ring," Summer said, frowning as she shook her head.

"Are you sure?" I clarified.

"Yeah, I am."

"How about you, Mandy?" I turned to her.

She was reading a novel on the sofa. She put it down and looked up at me. "No, I didn't give you a diamond ring. You know me... if I would have a diamond ring, I wouldn't give it to anyone, least of all you."

I rolled my eyes. Summer laughed as I turned back at her. We were sitting on the dining table, eating breakfast. It was the day after I ditched class with Xavier. And last night, I found a diamond ring just below my bed. I was shocked then convinced myself it was just a coincidence. But when I asked Summer and Mandy if they gave me a diamond ring before, I have a feeling that Xavier's diamond ring and mine are one.

But it's impossible! Why would he give me something like that? That diamond ring was for the girl he loved and I'm pretty sure I'm not the girl. I'm the girlfriend of his brother, for God's sake. He doesn't love me -- he can't love me. I'm practically out of bounds and forbidden. 

I sighed. All this thinking made my head ache... again. I heard Summer chuckle again and I gave her a look. She shut up and smiled apologetically. "Why are you having such a problem, anyway? It's just a diamond ring."

"But it's not just a diamond ring." Then an idea hit me. "Wait. Did Mom and Dad gave me a diamond ring before?" Hah! That must be right! My parents would have afforded buying me a diamond ring. They're rich now.

Summer frowned. "I don't think so. You hated our parents more than I do. Everything they gave to you, you threw it away. You wouldn't keep it -- even it was a diamond ring."

"Well, there must be a-- Wait, did you just say, 'I hated our parents more than you do'?"

She blushed in embarrassment.

"Holy crap," I swore, my eyes wide.

"Your parents are very easy to hate," Mandy spoke aloud, not even looking up from her book. "No offense."

"None taken," Summer said. She faced me again. "Sorry I didn't tell you earlier. It was something I don't want to speak about."

"I understand... it's just... I can't believe I'm been a bitch even to my parents. I was not that kind of girl, Summer."

"Well, it's their fault for changing so much," Summer said quietly.

For a moment, silence enveloped us. But Summer broke it by saying, "Can you pass the salt?"

I grabbed the salt and handed it to her. "Anyway, who do you think gave me the diamond ring?"

"Maybe your boyfriend?"

"Sandor? I think he's not the kind of guy who would just give a diamond ring..."

"What is with the diamond ring?" Mandy cried out, exasperated.

"Yeah, what's with the diamond ring?" Summer asked curiously.

"Well... Xavier and I hung out yesterday and he told me something about the girl he once loved. He stole something for her. It was a diamond ring and until now she have it. But then the girl moved awy and maybe she can't remember him anymore. Anyway, the point is that I have a feeling that the diamond ring I found last night was just the same with Xavier's ring."

When I was done explaining, Mandy and Summer looked at each other. Then, in unison, they turned back at me, their eyes wide open. I frowned at them and shrugged. "What? Did Xavier gave me a ring?" I asked. Then I realized that it sounded stupid so I laughed. "Well, that would be something. Him giving me the ring."