Chapter Two: Family Matter

“So you’re saying I turned into a bitch?”

            Summer shrugged sadly. “Pretty much.”

            “But,” Mandy added quickly, “you only do that so you wouldn’t go back being a nerd. In other words, you are only a bitch at school and outside the house. But inside… you are pretty awesome.”

            I sighed sharply. “I can’t believe I did that! God, what happened to me?” I turned to Summer. “Why didn’t you stop me? You should have!”

            She raised her hands innocently. “Well… you said you were happy. We believed you.”

            I sighed once again, crossing my arms across my chest. I was still in the hospital. Dr. Jefferson told me that I’d be staying here for the next two days then after that, I’ll stay at home for a week before going back to school. Two years ago, I would be disappointed. I mean, no school for a week? That sucks. But when Summer decided to tell me what happened tome for the past two years… well, it would be much better to stay at home. I can’t be a bitch to other people who had done nothing wrong.

            “Well, what about Xavier?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “Who’s he?”

            Summer and Mandy looked at each other for a moment before turning to me. “Well, he’s Sandor’s brother,” Mandy replied.

            “I know that. But I sense he’s someone important.”

            Summer scratched her head. “Uh… you’re enemies with him. You always fight with him because he always annoys you.”

            I blinked, confused. If we were enemies… then why was he sleeping on my bedside when I woke up? It would be much clearer if it was Sandor who slept on my bedside.

            Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. “Come in,” Mandy said.

            The door opened and a familiar dark-haired and blue-eyed guy about my age stepped in. It took me a moment to realize it was Sandor Murphy – my boyfriend. I smiled at him nervously and he returned it.

            “We better go out and give you two some privacy,” Summer announced. “Oh, and by the way Autumn, Dad’s coming later. He’s ditching he’s photo shoot for a magazine just to visit you.”

            I smiled weakly. “That’s great… I guess?”

            My sister and cousin left the room, leaving Sandor and I. I ran a hand on my red hair nervously. It still feels alien to me. It was smooth, neat and clean. Usually, it was grimy and filled with tangles.

            “How are you feeling?” Sandor asked, breaking the tension as he sat on the nearby chair beside my bed.

            I shrugged helplessly. “Same old. I can’t still remember a thing.”

            “Are you sure you can’t remember me?” Sandor asked, frowning. “Even a little bit?”

            “Um… I remember you as a popular person and… you were handsome,” I said, blushing deeply. Oh God, did I just say he was handsome?

            He chuckled. It was a wonderful sound. I wonder if I truly loved this guy. “I always love it when you blush. It never gets old.” Then he turned serious. “I feel guilty.”

            I frowned. “Guilty? Why?”

            “They didn’t tell you?”