Chapter Twenty-Six: Sandor's Plan

Instinctively, I got up from the ground. Xavier wrapped his arm around my waist protectively. Sandor’s eyes went down at my waist and it hardened. He looked up at me again and smirked.

“You didn’t lock the door, did you?” I asked Xavier, without looking away at Sandor.

“I did lock it,” Xavier whispered on my ear. “I didn’t know how he came in.”

“Enough talking!” Sandor snapped. He looked down at Kelly and kicked her sides, earning a painful groan from her.

“No!” I shouted, suddenly enraged. I was about to go after him but then Xavier stopped me. “Let me go! He’s hurting Kelly!”

“He has a gun, Autumn! Don’t be stupid!”

Sandor let out an amused laugh. “You don’t know how funny you two look,” he said and shook his head, still laughing. “Anyway, how did you even know I’m here?”

“We followed you,” I bit out. “We wanted to save Kelly!”

“Well, obviously your plan didn’t work,” he said and smiled. “I think you have to join her, then.”

“Why are you doing this, Sandor?” 

“Since when did anyone care for me?” Sandor complained, still raising the gun. “Nobody cared for me. That’s the reason why I am doing this.”

Xavier stepped forward, still shielding me. “Our parents cared for you! In fact, they gave you everything you need. They loved you more than they do to me. I have to suffer for years to see you happy with their attention when I have nothing! The least you could do is be grateful to them and stop killing and hurting people!”

“You don’t understand!” Sandor screamed. His eyes went wild, his gelled hair suddenly became disarranged… Everything about Sandor that’s calm, cool and collected was gone. “Do you think they loved me? No, they didn’t! They gave me things, yes. But they didn’t give me their love.”

“They did!” Xavier shot back. “I know because I was in the background! I can see everything.”

“See everything?” his brother repeated in a disbelieving tone. “See everything? You didn’t see everything, Xavier. You didn’t see how Dad has an affair with another girl that’s just two or three years older than you. You didn’t see how Mom gets drunk every night, trying to drown her problems away. You didn’t see how they fight because you were never at home when they are.”

I can’t see Xavier’s expression but I don’t have to be an Einstein to know. I didn’t know that Xavier’s parents were like that… He doesn’t want to talk about it, partly because they didn’t care about him. And partly because he knows that Sandor has them.

“Now,” Sandor started, raising his gun higher, “you two stay here until I figure out what to do to you. I’ll call Summer and tell her that Autumn’s going to spend the weekend with me. And I’m pretty sure our parents wouldn’t care if we’re gone, Xavier, so I guess we don’t have to call them.”

Sandor stepped towards us and grabbed my arm. Xavier immediately grabbed my other arm. “Let go of her, Sandor,” he told him menacingly. “Don’t hurt her.”

“Did you honestly think I’m going to hurt her?” Sandor spat at him, his eyes narrowing. “I love her, Xavier, just like you do.”

“What are you going to do to her?”

“Anything but hurt her.”

I turned to Xavier and forced up a smile. “You can let go of me. I would be okay, I promise.”