Chapter Twenty-One: Masquerade

"Are you okay? You seemed... bothered."

I let out a sigh and then raised my head from Xavier's chest. I looked up at him through my eyelashes. He frowned as he looked down at me with those confused blue eyes of his. I dropped my gaze and then rested my head again on Xavier's chest. Should I tell him? Sandor told me if I would tell anyone he would know. He's dangerous and it would be stupid if I disobey him.

"Autumn?" Xavier whispered my name.

"Nothing's wrong."

Xavier didn't reply and continued keeping quiet. We were inside his room, watching a movie. Sandor and his parents weren't home and Xavier invited me to watch a movie. I hesitated if I would go or not. What if Sandor would catch us? He wouldn't consider killing his own brother.

"Okay I have enough of this," Xavier muttered then got up from the bed. My eyebrows knitted together as I watched him turned the television off. He faced me and placed a hand on his hip. He was wearing his jeans and a plain white shirt that was slightly wrinkled because of our make out session just five minutes ago.

"What?" I asked with a shrug.

He walked towards me and sat down in front of me. He cupped my face with his hands and then brought his face closer to mine. "What's bothering you? Please tell me, Autumn. I can't bear looking at you like this all day. There's something going on and you're not telling me. I thought we're supposed to be partners?"

"We are. I'm not just..." I trailed off and rolled my eyes. "It's hard to explain, Xavier. It's something you wouldn't understand."

"Try me."

I smiled slightly then placed my hands on top of his. "Listen, I know you care about me. And trust me, that's really sweet of you. This is something that I should keep for myself. This is something that I shouldn't share to anyone."

"Why not?" Xavier snorted and then let go of my face.

"Just because."

"Autumn-"

"Please," I pleaded him as my eyes started to water. I wanted to tell him. I wanted to tell him so badly. He would help me get Sandor arrested and then everybody would be happy. But I know I couldn't. For one thing, I don't want to ruin Sandor and Xavier's relationship as brothers. I know it must be ruined because of me... but I don't want to ruin it more. And for another thing, I don't have any evidence against Sandor. Nobody else knows about him killing Diana.

Xavier's blue eyes were glued to my green ones for a minute or two. Then he rubbed his temples with one hand. "Fine. I'll let it go. I respect your privacy and your space."

I smiled. Only Xavier would say that. I'm sure Sandor would insist for me to tell him everything. "Thank you, Xavier. You don't know how I wanted for you to say that."

He smiled back, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. I know he must be hurt because I didn't tell him everything he wishes to know. "It's cool. I totally get it."

With that, I pressed my lips on his. It was just a simple chaste kiss but then he kissed me back and everything went overboard. He immediately deepened the kiss and pushed me softly to the pillows. Without another word, he was hovering above me, not breaking the kiss.

I smiled against his lips. Maybe I'm still stuck with Sandor but I can still have a little piece of heaven when I'm with Xavier. I believe that someday Sandor would realize his mistakes and let me go.