Chapter Thirty: Convincing

[Three Weeks Later]

“Congratulations! You finally graduated,” I told Xavier and hugged him tightly.

“Thanks,” he replied, grinning and hugged me back. Then he pulled me away. “Do you want to celebrate?”

“Aren’t you going to celebrate with your parents?”

Though he didn’t show any signs of it, I was pretty sure he looked disappointed. “They couldn’t come. They have work to do,” he said and shrugged his shoulders. “You could come to my house and I’ll cook.”

I gave him a look. “Only the two of us?”

“Sure. Don’t you like it?”

“Why don’t you come to my house and I’ll call Olive to come over? My whole family’s back at home,” I suggested with a smile.

Xavier scratched his head. “Your whole family? Like, your dad and mom too? Aren’t they supposed to stay in LA?”

“Yeah well, they want to spend time with us so they took a two-month vacation out of work,” I explained, smiling. “Are you up to it? And, look at the bright side; you could help me tell my parents about our plans in Massachusetts.”

Xavier’s eyes widened. “You didn’t tell them yet?!”

I smiled sheepishly. “I tried bringing it up to them but I just chicken out and change the topic. I’m really scared talking to them about it.”

“But—”

“Don’t worry, I’m going to tell them today. Just help me when I need it. I couldn’t do it alone,” I admitted. Then I looked up at him with my puppy eyes. “Pretty please, Xavier?”

He shook his head, but there was a smile on his face. “Okay, fine. But only the times when you’re really having a hard time.”

“Thanks, Xavier, you’re the best!” I kissed his cheek chastely and then grabbed my phone from inside my pockets. “I’ll just text Olive to come over.”

Xavier wrapped his arm around my waist and then the both of us walked out of the school and to Xavier’s new car – an advanced graduation present from his parents.

I went in the passenger’s seat as Xavier went inside the driver’s seat. “So what major are you taking in college?” I asked conversationally as he began to drive out of the school’s parking lot.

He smiled. “You don’t know what my major is?”

“You never talk about it.”

“I want to be a doctor.”

I made a face. “Doctor?”

He glanced at me before turning back to the road again. “What, you don’t like doctors? They earn pretty good amount of money from what I’ve heard.”

“I know that, but… you’re going to be so busy with work that you wouldn’t have time for me,” I said disappointedly. “Just think about our future. I would be waiting in our house every night for you to come home from work. Being a doctor is a pretty hectic job.”

“Okay, think about it in this way… I’m going to help people who need help. I’m going to save lives, Autumn. Don’t you like that?”

“Well, if you put it in that way… It seems a good job.”

Xavier laughed. “What would your major be if you’re going to be in college?”

I sighed and rested my head on the car window. “Honestly? I still don’t know. I think I’m just going to be your housewife.”