Chapter Three: Home Sweet Home... I Think

It was raining.

            I was running while my tears streamed down my face uncontrollably. I don’t know where I was but I continued running. Then suddenly, a thunder cracked above me loudly, ringing my ears. I gasped in surprise as I tripped on a rock and I fell on the ground.

            Mud splashed to my face but I didn’t wipe it away. I continued crying my eyes out, lying on the ground. I don’t know what to do. I was broke, distraught. I don’t know what happened.

            Far away, I could hear someone call my name. Someone who sounds very familiar. But I didn’t give a damn about it. I felt someone grabbing my wrist but I suddenly gave out a cry, stopping that person. “Let go of me!” I shouted.

            “Autumn, please, I can explain,” Sandor murmured on my ear. “Please…”

            “Let go of me!” I screamed at him and pushed him away. But he was too strong for me. “I hate you! Let go!”

            “Autumn, please!”

            With all my might, I kicked him between his legs. He gave out a loud groan, letting go of me. I took this as an advantage and continued running away from him.

            I don’t know where to go but I continued running. What could I do? Somehow the rain got heavier and more thunder cracked – louder than the first. When I got tired, I stopped running and sunk to the ground, suddenly feeling dizzy. I pressed both of my hands on my ears. I don’t want to hear any more thunder. “No…” I moaned.

            I was wet and I was shivering from the cold. No one could save me.

            “Autumn! Autumn, wake up! We’re here!” someone called from afar.

            My eyes fluttered open. I was inside a car. I turned to the person who was driving the car. Summer was bobbing her head and back forth with the rhythm of the music she was listening to. When she saw I was awake, she grinned. “Good. You’re awake. We’re here.”

            “What?” I asked, frowned.

            She rolled her eyes. “I said we’re here.”

            My gaze went to the window. Outside, there was a big white mansion – yep, a mansion – with a very big gate. I frowned. “Who lives here and why are we even here?”

            Summer sighed wearily. “This is our house.”

            My jaw dropped. She got to be kidding me. “Are you sure?!”

            “How many times should I tell you that we’re rich, Autumn? We could afford this kind of house.”

            I didn’t reply and continued gaping at the house as the gate slowly opened. Summer drove inside and when she killed the engines, she turned to me, her eyes dead serious. “Listen, Autumn. I know you are very new with this kind of lifestyle but I want you to try hard, okay? I know it’s not easy but you need to try. Understand?”

            I nodded. “Yeah.”

            “Well, hop out.”

            I opened the door and swung my legs outside. I clutched the bag that I was holding tightly that my knuckles went white. I don’t know why I was nervous. I lived here, for God’s sake.

            I slowly walked to the front door and hesitated if I should knock or not. I mean, this was my house but then again, I don’t know what to do. Making up my mind, I brought my hand up to knock.