Chapter Ten: The Cake and Us

The bell rang and I quickly stood up to arrange my things. Everybody began to do the same while chatting with their friends. It's the last period and everybody is getting ready of whatever they're going to do after classes.

When I was done arranging my things, I walked out of the classroom, humming to myself. I walked to my locker and stuffed everything that I don't need there. Feeling quite bored, I grabbed my phone from inside my pockets and checked my messages. There was one from Sandor saying that he can't hang out with me because he got football practice. Kelly and Claire can't come with me too since they have “more important” things to do. I rolled my eyes at that and stuffed my phone back inside my jeans. If they don't want to be with me, fine by me.

Still whistling to myself, I walked out of the school, placing my hands inside my jeans pockets. I haven't had a proper exercise ever since my accident. I guess I could just walk home.

I stepped out of the school grounds, not paying attention to any people around me. Then suddenly I heard my name. I stopped walking then turned, frowning. Who was calling me?

“Autumn!” There it go again.

My eyes followed the direction of the voice and it landed on a blonde girl. I raised an eyebrow skeptically. Why was she calling me? “Olive? What do you want?”

She ran to me and when she approached me, beads of sweat were very visible running down her forehead as she breathed in and out of her mouth. When she was done, she looked up at me. “Have you forgotten? We have to bake our cake.”

“What cake?”

She rolled her eyes. “Our chocolate cake for Home Economics class! Goodness, don't you remember?” Then she paused and narrowed her eyes. “Well, that's not a shock considering on how you have changed.”

I glared at her. “If you're just going to insult me, then don't talk to me. You know, we could just order some chocolate cake.”

“I told you, I don't want to cheat.”

“It's a part of life. Cheating is just a part of life.”

“It's not also going to be a shock if you cheat with your boyfriend Sandor.”

I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. Instead I just closed it and then frowned. What happened? Why did that simple sentence caught me off guard? Was it true? Was I cheating on Sandor before my accident?

Shaking my head, I pushed those thoughts away from my mind. I focused on the present and stared at Olive. “Well, what do you want?”

“Go to your house and bake the freaking cake so I would pass Home Economics,” she replied without hesitation.

“My house? What's wrong with yours?” I snapped. “Last time I checked, you were just as rich.”

She glared at me. “Times change, Autumn. Times change.”

My mouth fell open. “You mean--”

“Let's not talk about that, okay?” she said, her voice almost cracking. “I have my car. I can drive you to your house so we can bake the cake. I don't have a recipe but we could Google it or something.”

“Okay,” I muttered. 

Olive turned around and began to walk away. I followed quietly behind her. When we were still friends, Olive always told me stories about her parents. Her father was the typical rich businessman who has his own company while her mother was also the typical... well, bitch. Mrs. Lawson was just using Mr. Lawson for money -- well, in Olive's opinion. But even though Mr. Lawson might be this busy father, he always made time for his only daughter. Olive and him were very close but little do they know that Mrs. Lawson was sleeping with other guys behind her husband's back. Olive knew about it but her mother threatened her not to tell her father. She often heard Mr. Lawson interrogating Mrs. Lawson. She always refused, of course. Then he threatened to divorce her if it was true and when they will have their divorce, all of her money, property and everything would turn into nothing.