Chapter Sixteen: She's the Reason

Before going to bed, I waited for Olive. While waiting, I was reading A Sense of Belonging by Erica James. 

When I heard footsteps outside, I jumped out of the bed and walked to the door to greet Olive. My hand was on the doorknob but I stopped because I heard his voice.

Xavier's voice.

Why he was with Olive, I don't know.

I placed my right ear on the door so I can hear their conversation properly.

“...do you know?” Xavier was asking.

I heard Olive laugh. “It was obvious.”

“We tried very hard to keep it as a secret. But you were enemies back then. How did you notice?”

“Everybody noticed it.”

Even though I can't see Xavier, I can practically feel him tense. “Everybody?” he gasped.

“Maybe not everybody, but a lot of people. There were also rumors that Sandor would break your neck if he catches you with her.”

“But he doesn't love--”

“Yeah, I noticed. But he cares for her. That enough I can see.”

“Wow. You really do read people very well.”

She chuckled. “I've been hearing that a lot.” There was a pause, as if they didn't know what to say anymore. Then Olive cleared her throat. “Well, I better go to sleep. Thanks for walking me here. I hope you the best with you-know-what.”

“Sure, thanks. And, Olive?”

“Yeah?”

“I really do.”

“Do what?”

“Love her.”

I froze on my spot. Olive knows who the girl Xavier loves? How could that happen? Olive and Xavier were never best of friends. 

And now they have exchanged crushes?

“Yeah, I can also see that,” Olive replied, laughing softly. “I can see how you care for her.”

“Would you tell her?”

“Not if you don't want me to.”

Xavier breathed out a relieved sigh. “Awesome. Thanks.”

“Well, good night.”

I heard Xavier walk away. The door opened and I fell on my bottom because my ear was still on the door.

“Autumn, I-- Why are you on the floor?”

“You pushed the door open while my ear was still there,” I grumbled.

“You were listening in our conversation?” she gasped, aghast.

I suddenly realized what I said. Damn it. “Um... technically, I wasn't.”

“You were, weren't you?”

“No and you can't prove anything!”

“You just said your ear was still there by the door.”

I blanked, running out of ideas that I was going to say.

Olive grinned smugly. “How much did you hear?”

“Not much,” I replied honestly.

“Did you hear any names?”

I considered this. “Only Sandor's, not counting the times when you say each other's names.”