Chapter Six: Stuck With You?

“So you know it’s my birthday tomorrow, right? I was planning to have a party tomorrow night,” Claire was saying.

            I nodded absentmindedly as I flipped to a page of my book. “Nice. Who’s invited?”

            “Oh, not much – the whole cheerleading and football team, some of my friends and maybe some Xavier, too. How’s that?”

            I rolled my eyes. That’s not what you normally call “not much”. But apparently, for Claire, it was. “Awesome.”

            “So. Are you coming?”

            “I guess so. I have to ask permission.”

            Claire snorted. “Darling, it’s the twenty-first century. No one asks permission to go to parties anymore.”

            I reddened. “Okay. I’ll go. But you have to pick me up. I don’t remember where your house is. Amnesia girl, remember?”

            “Uhuh. I’ll see you tomorrow. Gotta fly, babe.” And with that, Claire hung up.

            I sighed and put my phone down the bed. It’s Friday night – a week after I had a date with Sandor. Somehow, that date made us closer. I also knew a lot about him – which was good because I’m his girlfriend.

            I closed my book shut and placed it on the table beside my bed. I closed my eyes, thinking about my life for the past two years. How could it be that I changed so drastically? Was this kind of change even possible? It’s just for two years. But apparently, a lot can change in two years.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Mandy wolf-whistled. “Why are you so dressed up? Where are you going?”

            I rolled my eyes. “It’s Claire’s birthday tonight.”

            Summer looked up from her book that she was reading and raised an eyebrow. “What time are you going to be home?”

            “I don’t know.”

            “I need a sure answer, Autumn, so I could pick you up.”

            “You don’t have to. Kelly or Claire will drop me home.”

            Summer rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Just don’t be home that late. I don’t want to get you into some kind of trouble.”

            As if on cue, there was a honk outside. I raised my hand in farewell. “I’ll see you later. Don’t wait up for me, I may be home late.”

            Mandy and Summer said their goodbyes and I stepped out of my house. It was just five-thirty and when I looked up at the skies, I could see it would rain later. I frowned. I don’t want it to rain.

            I recognized Kelly’s Mercedes Benz. I opened the car door from the passenger’s seat and hopped in. Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together was playing in her stereo. Kelly glanced at her shoulder and grinned at me. “You look good. Nice skirt.”

            I tugged it nervously. “Thanks. I think it’s a little bit short.”

            Kelly laughed. “You wear much shorter skirts.”