Chapter Twelve: The Clash of the Friends

I didn't know when I slept. All I know when I've woken up, Xavier wasn't beside me on the couch. I rubbed my eyes sleepily and glanced at the TV. The movie was over and the credits were rolling. Frowning, I grabbed my iPhone from inside my bag and checked the time. 10:02 PM. A soft and quiet yawn escaped from my mouth. I must be going now, there's still class tomorrow.

As I stood up, I heard the voices of Sandor and Xavier just behind me on the kitchen. They were talking in hushed tones so I sat back down again. Curiosity crept to me and I want to listen more about their conversation.

“...I just want you to stay away from her,” Sandor said curtly.

Xavier gave out a loud sigh. “We weren't doing anything wrong! We were watching a movie when you came in. She accidentally slept on my shoulder and--”

“That's bullshit,” his brother interrupted nastily. “That wasn't what I saw when I came in! Yes, she had her head on your shoulder but you were leaning towards her, as if to kiss her! What the hell, Xavier? I thought you were over her.”

My eyes widened. Did Sandor knew that Xavier has a teeny crush on me before we were together? “I am over her,” he answered. “I was just leaning towards her because I-I thought that she was not asleep.”

“What? That doesn't have any sense at all.”

“What do you care anyway? You don't even gave a damn about her before.”

I heard Sandor pause. I knew without looking that he was glaring hatefully at his brother. “You don't know me at all, Xavier. You act as if you know me but you don't. Autumn's my girlfriend and I love her. I don't care about what you think about us. Just leave us alone in peace.”

“She doesn't love you.”

“You don't know that!”

“Can't you see it?” Xavier almost shouted. But he didn't, because he thought I was asleep. “You can easily see it in her eyes. She doesn't love you because she doesn't know you. She had amnesia and even before her accident, it's obvious the love she felt for you changed. You yourself changed.”

“You're just saying that because you want her.”

“No I don't.”

“Yes you do and you know it,” Sandor said coldly. “Ever since I made her my girlfriend, you do nothing but stare at her all day. I knew you liked her. But she doesn't like you back.”

“How do you know that?” Xavier snapped.

“Because she's a kind person and she doesn't want to hurt me,” he replied simply. “Even though she doesn't love me anymore, she cares about me. I am the reason why she's like that today. I gave her popularity, friends and everything. She owes all of it to me.”

Xavier didn't reply and I heard someone leave and go upstairs. My eyes were wide open after listening with their conversation. I don't know what to say or to do. Yes it's true that I don't love Sandor because I barely know him. But it's also true that I do care about him and I don't want to hurt him. But I don't know if it's true that Xavier liked me. Why would he?

Getting up from the couch, I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulders. I turned around and saw Xavier sitting on a chair in the kitchen, a big white mug on his hand. He looked up and saw me. Attempting a smile, he said, “You're awake.”

“Yeah, I guess I am,” I said, returning his smile. “I think I heard footsteps before I've woke up.”

“Oh that was just Sandor. He just arrived,” he replied.

I nodded. “Ah... okay. Well, I'll see you tomorrow in school. Bye.”

“What would you ride on?”