thirteen

Parker Elise Leon

I shut the door to the guest bedroom again and trudged down the steps. I wanted so badly to just go in there and let him sleep with my in my bedroom again, but it would be wrong for me to make him dependent on me to sleep.

I took my socks off and let my hair down before curling under my blankets. It was hard for me to fall asleep. I kept tossing and turning and felt the need to just go up to Gabriel and sleep next to him. It felt right but wrong at the same time. I shouldn't, but I want to.

I stood up anyways, because I needed some water after not being able to sleep for an hour. I jumped back to see Gabe right as I opened my door. My hand flew to my chest as I breathed heavily and pushed my hair out of my face. The thick, long, brown pieces of hair covered my eyes. "Hey." He whispered, rubbing his eyes. I've seen him do it a few times and it always makes him look so adorable and boyish.

"Hi. You can get into bed, I was just about to grab some water." I patted his chest as I walked past him. I quickly took my water bottle from my backpack and filled it up so I could leave it on my bedside table if I needed.

I got to my room to see him sitting on my bed with his head in his hands and his elbows on his knees. His knee was bouncing as he waited for me, which made my heart break. Again, whoever hurt this boy has a lot coming for them. "You okay?" He looked up at the sound of my voice and nodded his head slightly without words. I pursed my lips as I sat next to him. My hands voluntarily wrapped around his hand that rested on his lap. I played with his fingers and leaned my head onto his shoulder.

"We can sleep, but I want you to know I'm here if you want to talk." I felt and heard his intake of breath and peeled back a little to see his reaction. He pulled my hand up to kiss the knuckles of it. "I know. Thank you, beetle." I smiled and crawled up to my pillow. He slid beside me and we stared at each other's faces as we both lay right across from each other.

"Goodnight, Frosty." I whispered, closing my eyes. "Goodnight, beetle." He responded. I didn't know when I fell asleep but I know I did.

I was asleep until soft murmurs woke me up. Heavy breathing and Gave's voice filled my ears. I turned around to see his eyebrows furrowed just like the other few times he's had a nightmare in front of me. I saw a year fall down his cheek and wished I could turn away. It hurt so bad to see him like this. I scooted towards him and hugged him tight, massaging the back of his head and whispering sweet things into his ear.

"You're okay. It was just a dream. I'm right here." He cried into my shoulder after he woke up from my touch. "Parker, I know you can't promise me this, but please don't leave." He was completely serious and sad and heartbroken. I nodded as I wiped his cheeks.

"You want me to stay, I want to stay, so I am staying." He nodded into my neck as his arms tightened around my waist. "Thank you." His voice cracked as he spoke and I could feel the tears seep through my thin sweatshirt I put on earlier. "There's nothing to thank me for." We lied there holding each other for what seemed like hours before Gabe finally relaxed and fell asleep. I allowed myself to do the same after seeing him peacefully sleeping.

I woke up to the pressure of Gabriel's head on my chest and his light snores invaded my ears as I woke up fully. I'm always having to pee in these situations. I hurriedly but carefully left the bed to go to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth for a couple minutes before heading back to the bed.

"Good morning, Frosty." I smiled at the boy before laying back down next to him. His eyes were adjusting so they were squinted and swollen. I could tell he cried a lot last night which saddened me. "Good morning." Holy duck, his voice was like chocolate on a strawberry. So yummy.

"What do you want for breakfast? I can make eggs, bacon, pancakes," I trailed off, trying to think of other breakfast foods. "What other breakfast foods are there?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows and biting my lip slightly in thought. He chuckled as he stretched. "I can make the pancakes and you can make the eggs. Easy solutions." I nodded, smiling his way before dragging him out of the bed and to the bathroom. "Brush your teeth." He raised a brow at me as if to ask why I was so adamant on him brushing his teeth.

"What? You think we'd kiss once and that would be it?" I placed my hands on my hood as I sassed him. He widened his eyes and opened the new toothbrush ai gave him. I left him alone to go get the things for our breakfast.

I stood up from bending down to the cabinet and squealed when hands grabbed my shoulders and turned me around. "Don't scare me like tha-" his lips were on mine in a soft and gentle kiss. It was just like the kiss yesterday except with more flavor and less flour. His hands stayed on my cheeks the whole time and his head moved to the rhythm of our lips. I pulled back, needing air, but he continued the kisses down my neck and to a specific spot above my collar bone where he sucked at. The feeling made me gasp lightly. It felt good.

He chuckled as he grabbed the pan and eggs from me and started the stove. I blinked before grabbing the pancake mix and quickly making the batter. I grabbed a different, flatter pan and put it on the opposite side of his eggs.

"And breakfast is served." I happily fill my plate with a few pancakes and drizzle some syrup over them. I poked my fork at them and smiled in delight at the food in my mouth. Oh how nice it is to eat food. I love food. You know what they say, the key to a woman's heart is through food.