twenty four

Parker Elise Leon

I get discharged today. I was beyond excited to be out of this ugly hospital gown and be able to sleep in a comfortable bed. I was mostly excited for the good food I was about to eat as well. I've been awake for a week and they've kept me in here since I woke up. Gabe came to see me after school everyday and it's finally Friday.

Gabriel said he'd pick me up on his way home from school, so I wait in the lobby for him. Gabe's mom brought me a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt for me to change into. She packed a pair of fuzzy socks for me and some easy slip-on Birkenstock's. I looked like a hobo as I rolled around in my wheelchair. I wasn't actually just rolling around, but I looked like a hobo as I was wheeling myself through the hallways of the hospital.

Gabe walked through the doors, which immediately put a smile on my face. He came over to me and kissed my cheek and my forehead and then my lips. "How's my girl doing?" He says 'my girl' yet still hasn't asked me to be 'his girl.' It bothered me sometimes, but I chose to ignore it because I was finally alive and well. Maybe not exactly the happiest, considering my home was destroyed and J have no desire to go back there. I'd probably pass out from trauma.

Gabe wheeled me outside and brought me over to my beetle. I gasped as he helped me into the passenger seat and gently folded my wheelchair into the back seat. "I've been driving it. I hope you don't mind." I shrug as he starts the car again. There were multiple pictures of us lining the sun-shields and there was a cross hanging from the rear view mirror. He really took my car and made it his own. You little poopiehead, Gabe.

"I love it. You'll probably have to drive me everywhere now." I pout, lifting up my right spaghetti noodle leg. Due to the bullet hitting a nerve in my right side, my right leg was also greatly affected. The doctors said I'll have to go through physical therapy to get the muscle back and everything. "You'll get back in your feet in no time, babe." He placed his hand in my thigh as he drove out of the hospital parking lot. He drove me to his house, where apparently he moved a lot of my stuff into because he didn't want me to live in my old house anymore.

I figured I should text my parents and tell them about what's happened to me. I don't expect much.

parker: i have a lot to catch you guys up on. if you end up going to the house you'll see if destroyed and basically abandoned, let me know when you can call.

My text was on delivered for hours before they finally texted back.

mom: we're swamped, honey. we will call you whenever we get the chance to
dad: yeah, we'll call

I knew it wasn't going to happen, so I put my phone down into my lap without responding. "Hey, are you okay?" Frosty asked me, rubbing circles along my thigh. "Yeah, just my parents never have time for me. They don't even have a clue about what happened." I sighed as he pulled into his driveway.

"Forget about them for a little bit and come relax with me. I'm sure you want to be in a normal bed after being in a hospital for four weeks." I nodded excitedly as he helped me into the wheelchair.

"I've never seen your room before." I looked around as he pushed me inside the small space. I had a small smile on my face as I noticed there was a queen sized been in the corner and only one dresser. I figured the door on the opposite side of his bed was his closet. "I like it in here. It's cozy." I looked up at him and stared into his silver eyes. Those same silver eyes I fell in love with so hard.

"Yeah? You'll be sleeping in here for a while so get used to it." I smiled as he picked kissed my forehead as I looked up at him. "Do you want to take a shower? Rid yourself of the hospital smell?" I nodded feverishly and he instantly pushed me to the bathroom out in the hallway. It was small but big enough to spaciously fit my wheelchair. He started the bath and got me a towel. We both waited for the bath to fill up as we talked quietly to each other.

"Do you need help getting in?" I shrug, pushing myself out of the chair and trying to hop the few steps to the tub. I nodded my head as I motioned for him to help me. "Yes, I need help. I'm still in my clothes though." looked down at myself as he held me up. I want to cry, this is miserable.

"It's okay, you'll see all of me sooner or later." He stayed quiet as he helped me take my sweats off. He was being extremely respectful and sweet. One of the many reasons I fell for this man.

"Do you want me to stay with you?" He never looked at my body once when helping me undress or putting me in the tub. "Yes, please. Keep me company." He nodded and sat on the tiled floor beside the tub. At this moment, he was finally shorter than me.

I turned to face him and sat criss-cross with my arms crossed over the side of the tub. He was watching me with a small smile as I bathed in the warm bubbles.

"Should I be worried about school work?" I asked, turning my head downwards and playing with the bottoms of his jogger pants. "No, you've been excused from everything. I made sure of it." I nodded, smiling as he took my other unoccupied hand and kissed the knuckles. "And nobody has talked about me, right?" The sharp intake of breath on his part made me purse my lips and nod.

"It was hard to tune it out at first. Everyone was speaking of what happened, even the teachers. The news got out fast, somehow." I nodded, feeling exhausted and annoyed. Why do people feel the need to just talk and talk and talk?