Clarity

"Yep, I'm gay. 100% gay. Thank you so much for clearing that up Rachel. Hey, can you hold my place in line for a second?"

Kurt stood stunned as Blaine turned to walk away, giving Kurt a look as he went. This wasn't a, "let's talk and figure out what went wrong," look, nor a, "I'm sorry, let's be friends again," look. This was a, "get your butt over here and follow me right now," look.

Kurt offered some condolences to Rachel who quickly ran away to write her song, leaving Kurt free to follow Blaine to where he had walked outside and was leaning against his car. As he walked over, Kurt tried to work out what the look in Blaine's eyes had been. There had been a bit of annoyance (after all, they still hadn't made up from their argument), some repentence, but something else that Kurt couldn't put his finger on. If he didn't know better, he would say lust -

"Kurt."

Kurt snapped back to reality and saw he had made it to Blaine's car.

"Um, hi."

Blaine surveyed him for a few seconds, then sighed and led him over to a bench.

"Look, I hate fighting with you so let's get it all out in the open. I'm sorry for being so defensive but I stand by what I said. Just because I was confused doesn't mean you're allowed to judge me for it. I get it was kind of silly, I mean, it was Rachel Berry after all," Blaine cracked a smile and Kurt finally saw a glimpse of the old Blaine who he hadn't seen since before the party. "But still. It was one of those difficult times for me that I know you've had too and instead of fighting, I would have loved to have had your support."

Kurt looked at the ground, blinking bak tears of shame. "Blaine, I'm so sorry. I can't say anything to explain myself and I've been trying to find the words ever since about half an hour after our fight when I got over my self righteous anger and realized what a mess I'd caused. You are allowed to be whoever you want to be and I should have supported you. I guess the thought of losing the only other openly gay person I know kinda s-shook me a bit and -" his voice broke and a tear slipped down his cheek, which he hastily wiped away.

Blaine saw though and wrapped an arm around Kurt, pulling him in close. "I know, and after I cooled off I saw it from your point of view. I can see why you flipped out. Let's just say we're both sorry, we both overreacted but it's all good now."

Kurt pushed the tears back and lifted his head to smile at Blaine. "Deal." He waited a second, then - "So, what was it like to kiss Rachel sober?"

Blaine instantly pulled a face and Kurt started to laugh. "Kurt, it was like she had thrown herself at me crying or something. The girl is so needy and it even comes through in her kissing -"

But Kurt felt a twinge when Blaine said needy and was now looking down again, biting his lip. Blaine looked at him and immediately rushed to reassure him. "Kurt, you're not needy. You're not," he repeated as another tear slipped down Kurt's face. "You're a wonderful sassy person who is so incredibly independent but sometimes needs someone to talk to. We all do."

And Kurt felt the sincerity and weight in those last few words and remembered back a few weeks when he had found Blaine lying in his room staring listlessly at the roof. After a few hours of silence where Kurt had just sat with Blaine silently, Blaine had started to talk and Kurt had found out that it was two years to the day that Blaine had been beaten up and locked in the janitor's closet for the entire weekend, the event that had prompted his transfer to Dalton. They had both cried, and after that day it was like they were on an even footing. No more mentor Blaine, no more victim Kurt. Just two boys who had both been through crap but now had each other as friends.

Kurt rested his arm on Blaine's, who smiled back. "No, Rachel is the kind to jump on any boy just to feel loved. You on the other hand - well, you're the kind of person who knows what he wants and goes for it. You're exactly who you are and you don't change that for anyone. And - god Kurt, you have no idea how much I wish I was like that."

And now it's Blaine's turn to blink back the tears that sprung to his eyes. Kurt wrapped an arm around him in return, rubbing soft circles on his back.

"I've always thought I knew who I was but as time went on and I couldn't even get myself a boyfriend, I couldn't find anybody who would look at me as more than just that guy who sings. And of course I began to doubt myself. And then Rachel came along and she was the first person to actually want to kiss me and go on a date with me -" Kurt privately thought to himself how incredibly untrue that statement was but kept this thought to himself as Blaine continued venting. "- and I thought, well, maybe this can, I don't know, straighten me out or something?" Blaine gave a bitter laugh. "But that's stupid because I should be comfortable with who I am. I'm gay. And even if I'm gay alone, that still makes me gay."

"You're not alone, Blaine."

Blaine smiled. "I know that, Kurt. I'm not saying you're not a great friend -"

"No, Blaine. You're not alone."

And Kurt was looking at him with such intensity that Blaine would have to be blind to miss it. Kurt still felt he had to explain himself, because Blaine had been oblivious in the past after all.

"If you think Rachel Berry is the only person who's ever wanted you, you're an idiot, Blaine. Apart from the fact that the first time you met Santana, she asked where her straight copy was, I've watched the way you charm the waitresses at Breadstix. And the barristar at Lima Bean is wrapped around your little finger."

"Kurt, they're all female."

Kurt raised an eyebrow. "Wonderful observation skills, Sherlock." he quipped, nudging Blaine gently in the ribs. "Yes, they all are. But what you also don't notice is the way the younger Warblers who are just coming to terms with their sexuality look up to you, and not just as a mentor. I've heard conversation dedicated to how dreamy you are, Blaine." Blaine's head snapped up at this, looking increduously at Kurt. "And I didn't just say that to see the look on your face, although it was pretty damn funny. That's the truth. I've also had many occasions where guys have nervously asked me things like your favourite colour, aspirations in life, coffee order, favourite book, middle name, favourite place, whether you and I were dating and, on one weird occasion, what position you like to sleep in."

"And what answers did you give?" Blaine tried to keep the blush from spreading across his face at the dating question.

"Blue, to compose songs for a theatre company while working as an independent lawyer, medium drip, To Kill A Mockingbird even though you'll deny it a million times over, Devon, Italy, not yet and sprawled in a heap on your stomach, which is really bad for your skin."

"Wow.. you really know me well."

Kurt gave a smile and waited for the words to sink in.

Not yet?

Blaine raised stunned eyes to catch Kurt's knowing gaze.

"Like I said, Blaine, you're not alone. Neither of us are. And I really hope we're a lot less alone from now on."

And the look on his face was just so perfect that Kurt wanted to kiss him.

Well, why don't you?

So he did.

When he pulled away, slightly breathless, Blaine tangled his fingers in Kurt's hands and quietly murmured, "Silver, to be on Broadway, tall nonfat mocha, Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth, Paris, yes we are and curled into a ball in that adorable way you like to sleep."

Kurt just smiled and pressed his forehead against his boyfriend's.