Blaine and the Pips

"Can I be honest with you?"

Blaine blinks, trying to work out why Kurt even needs to ask that question. Kurt knows he can always be honest with him, right? But Kurt doesn't look nervous this time, instead there's a determination in his eyes that Blaine hasn't seen in a long time.

"Because it comes from a place of caring. Been there, done that. Look, Blaine, your solos are breathtaking." Blaine catches the flash of emotion at that word and mentally files it away to work out the meaning later. "They're also numerous."

"You know the council chooses who does the solos, Kurt. And do I detect a little jealousy?" Blaine wishes he could grab Kurt by the shoulders and tell him that if he had the choice, he would override the whole damn council and put Kurt up there in the spotlight but he can't. In fact, he's just about to do that when Kurt pipes up again.

"No, you detect a lot of jealousy. Look, Blaine," and here Kurt sighs. "Sometimes I don't feel like we're the Warblers. I feel like we're Blaine and the Pips." 

Blaine snorts, he can't help himself. "That's the most terrible name ever and I would refuse to be a part of a group who wanted that name attached to them."

Kurt raises an eyebrow. "Blaine, what happens when people are introduced to the Warblers around here? We get 'These are our Warblers and this is our lead soloist, Blaine.' Do you think anybody knows the names of anybody else in this group? We stand in the background and pretend to be various instruments while you belt it out in front of us. And yes, it's hot," Blaine blinks. Did he just call me hot? "And yes, it helps us win, but the rest of us don't exactly feel important in the grand scheme of things. I sure don't. I may not have gotten the solos at McKinley but I got something. A line, a dance move, something that helped people see that I wasn't just another blazer in a line of - well, blazers. I'm Kurt. I'm a person. I saw the look on New Directions faces last time at Regionals, Rachel was having to prompt me to smile and Mr Schue looked disappointed - at first I thought he was amazed at how awesome we were and that we'd be a threat to them - which we are, but after awhile I realized he was disappointed that I was just swaying along, he wanted something better for me. And so did I, Blaine. The rest of the Warblers might be more used to it than me but I don't think they should be. Everybody deserves a chance to let their skills be seen and used." Kurt collapses into the couch, panting slightly from his speech.

Blaine just stares at him. Sure, he knew Kurt wasn't meshing as well as the other Warblers, and he never expected him to, but he didn't realize it meant this much to him. And - and that speech. That was so - hot. Kurt never got fired up about things anymore and Blaine was seeing the Kurt that he had known that time they went to McKinley and faced off Karofsky. The Kurt that belted out Don't Cry For Me Argentina regardless of how much it made him stand out. Kurt stands out. And Blaine loves him for it.

Woah. What?

But the more Blaine thinks about it, the more it makes sense. All the looks, the conversations - pieces that were disengaged before fall into place and every thought he's ever had about Kurt is now meshing in his brain to create a big picture that he was too blind to see before.

I'm in love with Kurt Hummel.

Blaine smiles, still looking down at the younger boy. Now I just need to tell him and - oh crap. How do I do that?

All Blaine knows is that he has to tell Kurt. Today. Right now. Because he might just go crazy if these thoughts stay in his head for too much longer. Trying to put together the perfect words, he opens his mouth to speak.

"Kurt -"

"Blaine -"

And then they both laugh. "You first," says Blaine, sitting down on the floor in front of Kurt and ignoring the surprised look in the younger boy's eyes, because usually Blaine would be sitting on a chair like a normal person. But Blaine doesn't care because he's happy now.

Kurt slides off the couch to join him on the floor and now they're sitting so close their knees are touching - Kurt cross-legged as usual, Blaine kneeling.

"Blaine, I meant everything I said before, but I probably shouldn't have been so harsh with you about it. Like you said, it's not your choice and I can't begrudge you your solos because your voice truly is amazing." And there's that flicker of emotion again and Blaine's heart begins to race. Could Kurt feel the same way?

"I guess I just want a bit of that spotlight too. But if the Warblers truly think you're the best, then that's okay. I think you're the best too."

Blaine raises an eyebrow because there's so much more meaning behind that word, and the light blush staining Kurt's face proves that he's caught him out.

"Oh, am I now?" he says slowly, catching Kurt's gaze.

Kurt's face is now a bright red but he continues to look into Blaine's eyes and something unspoken passes between them.

"Yes, you are." And now the look in Kurt's eyes seems to double in intensity and Blaine has to swallow a lump in his throat. "So, what were you wanting to say before?"

But Blaine can't tear himself from those eyes or that face or those - lips.. "I - uh -"

And before he knows what he's doing, he's leaning in, one hand on Kurt's arm and the other reaching for his face. He sees the look in Kurt's eyes and they both know what's about to happen -

"Hey, Blaine, I - oh crap! Sorry guys!"

Blaine growls low in his throat and grudgingly moves away from a startled Kurt, turning to see Wes standing in the doorway with his hands over his mouth. He can hear David in the corridor; "Wes, what's wrong? Isn't Blaine in there - oh, did you walk in on Thad and his girlfriend again?" Wes holds up a hand in David's direction, still staring at the two irritated boys.

"I swear, Blaine, I had no idea, I just -"

"Wesley. You have until three. One -"

And Wes is gone, slamming the door behind him. Blaine can hear him muttering something, then the sound of David's laughter, thankfully receding down the hallway. He swears under his breath then turns back to Kurt who looks like someone just took away his Vogue collection. "He's going to get it," Kurt mutters, before his face softens as he looks at Blaine.

"Yes, he is." Blaine smiles and traces his hand along Kurt's jaw, watching all the anger drain out of his face as he shivers. "But right now, well - where were we?"

Kurt smirks at the cheesy line. "Right here, I believe." And without allowing for any more possibly interruptions, Kurt leans in and kisses him.

Hey, I was going to do that! Blaine mentally shuts himself up, focusing instead on the fact that Kurt is kissing him...

But as amazing as their first kiss is, Blaine just can't help himself.

Pulling away, Blaine looks sternly at a disappointed Kurt. "I think you should know that I had an entire speech planned out in my head, admitting my feelings and telling you how amazing you are, and now you won't get to hear it."

Now Kurt really does look disappointed. "You can say it anyway?" he offers.

Blaine smirks. "Nah, this is more fun." He kisses Kurt again, who happily concedes.