Mercedes

"On the count of three, name your favourite 2010 Vogue cover. 1... 2... 3!"

"Marion Cotillard!"

Kurt laughed in delight while Blaine looked shocked. "Oh my god, stop it!"

"I know, I know. She's AMAZING!" Kurt couldn't keep the smile off his face, more likely due to the fact that Blaine was paying so much attention to him than their mutual love of Vogue.

"She's amazing." Blaine smiled, popping a bread stick in his mouth. Kurt heard a cough from across from them and turned to see Mercedes looking bored. He winced and shot her a look of apology, fumbling for his phone under the table.

'Cedes, I'm so sorry, he's just so distracting. And amazing. We'll pay more attention to you from now on, promise. - Kurt

Blaine had been talking about something to do with Wes and David while Kurt subtly texted Mercedes. He saw her look down and read the message, then quickly reply.

I'm'a leave you boys to it for a bit. See if they've got some tots. - M

"Well, I'm gonna go find me some tots." True to her word, Mercedes stood, giving them a quick smile before heading off in the direction of the kitchen. Kurt sighed, feeling a twinge of guilt for not paying attention to his best friend, but knew she'd be alright once they had a chat about things.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, I think she's just not used to sharing me." Kurt turned to Blaine who was still looking a little bit worried. "She'll be alright though, once I've had a chat to her. We've been all each other has had for awhile now, we've stuck by each other through thick and thin. So I think it's a bit weird for her to see I've got someone else looking out for me." He smiled at Blaine who was looking half-flattered, half-confused.

"So why did you say you had nobody to talk to when the Karofsky thing happened?"

Kurt still flinched a little every time his name was mentioned and this time was no exception. He ignored Blaine's muttered apology as he tried to work out how best to answer.

"Mercedes loves me to death. But she doesn't understand. She knows what it's like to be bullied and slushied and hated on for no reason, that's for sure. That's why we bond so well. But this was something I couldn't talk to her about and I can't even tell her why I couldn't when she asks why I didn't go to her. And believe me, she asks. All of New Directions do."

Kurt knew he was about to reveal some stuff that his best friend hadn't wanted anybody knowing. But he also remembered Blaine's reaction to finding out that nobody from New Directions - the people who were supposed to be his McKinley family - had noticed his bullying and he didn't want another explosion, especially not in public.

"Blaine, Mercedes has never had a boyfriend. But more than that, she's never had anybody show interest in her. At least I've had that before. She's never had to reject anybody or tell them she wasn't interested. So how could I have gone to her and asked for advice on how to deal with someone who's giving me attention I don't want?"

"But it wasn't just about that, Kurt. Couldn't she have given you support as well? I mean, you'd just been assaulted - no, I'm sorry, you probably don't want to talk about this right now." Blaine looked incredibly contrite and Kurt knew his face must have paled at the word they had mutually agreed not to bring up. But it was time to deal with these things.

"It's okay." He took a deep breath. "Yes, I was assaulted. But what could she have done about that, either? Sure, we could have had girl nights and sleepovers and stuff, but she wasn't trained to deal with it. None of my friends were, and that's why I didn't expect anybody to come to help me. What I needed was for a staff member to give a crap but they didn't. I was incredibly lucky to have you there, Blaine. Someone who's gone through stuff like that who could give me advice with experience behind it. Someone who cared about me and someone I loved enough to trust, no matter what. So you can't blame Mercedes for not being there for me, it's not her fault."

Kurt frowned. Blaine was staring at him, mouth slightly agape. "Blaine?"

"Kurt... what did you just say?"

Kurt quickly ran through everything he had said in the last few minutes. Assaulted... no teachers helped me... Blaine was the only one... loved him...

Oh crap.

"I - I should go... go check on Mercedes. Make sure she's alright." Kurt babbled as he started to stand up, completely intent on getting out of there and finding someone quiet to collapse and cry for the next few hours because this was too much right now.

And then a hand was on his wrist, gently holding him back. "Kurt."

It wasn't the hand that kept him there, it was the vulnerability in Blaine's voice, the way it hitched slightly as if he was trying to hold something back. Kurt turned to look at him and there was Blaine right next to him, gently tugging him down into the booth.

"Kurt, don't go. Please? I know you're embarassed -"

"Try mortified! I can't believe I just said that, I worked so hard to keep it a secret because I knew you didn't feel the same way, and now you know and you're probably going to give me some righteous speech about how it's okay and you still see me as a good friend but you try telling someone you love them when you know they don't feel the same -"

Kurt felt his tirade cut off abruptly as Blaine's lips crashed into his. Still struggling with his anger and embarassment, it took a few seconds for it to sink in. Blaine's kissing me.

It wasn't anything like Kurt had thought it would be. He always imagined his first kiss to be soft and sweet after a heartfelt declaration of love between him and - the other person (he had also always imagined it would be Blaine but had never dared to hope). This kiss was full of need, like Blaine was trying to tell Kurt without words how much he loved him too. Kurt responded in turn, pressing himself closer to Blaine, attempting to drink him in in case this was the last time this ever happened - but don't think that.

After what felt like a second and an hour all rolled into one, Kurt pulled away, searching Blaine's eyes for any signs of regret. Instead, he saw so much love that his breath caught in his throat.

"Kurt, of course I love you. I just never thought you felt the same."

Kurt laughed, suddenly feeling as light as air. "We've just been typical teenage boys, haven't we?"

"What, being oblivious, then kissing? Well, most teenage boys do that with girls..." Blaine smirked as Kurt slapped him lightly, still smiling. "But yes. And then usually they spend a lot more time doing the second part, if you catch my drift."

"Stop waggling your eyebrows, you look like a perv." Now it was Kurt's turn to smirk as Blaine deflated slightly. "But yes, we can."

Blaine smiled at him again and leant in to capture his lips for another kiss. And now that the initial fear and urgency had worn off, they were free to gently enjoy and explore one another's lips for as long as they wanted -

"Okay, you boys are all kinds of sweet but you need to cut the PDA before people start to stare."

Kurt reluctantly broke the kiss, turning to see an amused Mercedes sliding into the booth across from them with a large basket of tots. She caught his eye and nodded, and Kurt felt the tension leave him that he hadn't realized he was holding on to. He had worried that Mercedes wouldn't be able to look past her jealousy, but she seemed genuinely happy for him, though he knew they'd have to talk later.

"Now, I know the nice thing to do would be for me to leave you two alone so you can get to know each other better." Kurt felt himself blush at the emphasis on the word. "But instead, I'm going to sit here and grill you for deets, then I get to threaten you," she pointed at Blaine who gulped, "and tell you what happens if you ever hurt my boy."

Kurt felt Blaine's hand slip into his and he squeezed it reassuringly, smiling at Mercedes 'bitch face'. "As long as you don't scare him away, that's a deal."

"She's not scaring me away, Kurt." Blaine still looked slightly nervous but looked at Mercedes defiantly.

"No, that's true. Kurt's dad and his shotgun will do that."

Blaine grew pale as Kurt chided Mercedes. "Okay, let's just finish our meal so you can get all the details you're salivating over, then we can go have our gossip sesh."

"Sure thing white boy." Mercedes smiled at the two of them, then held out her basket. "Tots?"