Chapter 2

Y/N's Perspective ~

I have about an hour before I have to start setting up for my stream, so I grab an ice-cream out of my freezer, and unwrap it, deciding to go for a short walk down my lane, and through some of the many fields surrounding my house.

It's the only place I feel safe walking around without a mask to cover my face.

I start to eat my ice-cream as I lock my front door, and stuff the keys in my pocket. It's a surprisingly warm, sunny evening, and I start to notice the sun setting above the trees around me. I smile, listening to the birds tweeting happily above me, and look up at the cottage, happy that my parents bought it for me to move into.

The only other house nearby me is another identical cottage just further down the mud covered lane. The forest floor is dappled with muddy puddles from the rain yesterday, but it looks alright to go for a walk in the woods.

It's times like this when I really wish I had a dog.

I gradually eat my ice-cream as I trudge down the lane, gazing around at the glistening orange sky as the sun starts to vacate for the night.

I reach my only neighbour, and gaze at the identical cottage exterior to mine. The only thing different is that there is a 'sold' sign standing tall at the picket fence.

I wonder how long it's been for sale. To be honest, this is the first time in about a month that I've gone past here, so I probably just didn't notice it.

I think to myself, and then I snap out of my thoughts as the front door opens with a small click, and a woman steps out.

I believe this woman is Mrs Aider, and she lives with her husband. Thinking back on it, the only time I've ever spoken to them was when I first moved in. Two years ago.

I'm a horrible neighbour.

Frantically, I speed up my walk, and luckily I've just finished my ice-cream, so I don't look like a weirdo holding that. I shove my coat hood up, feeling a panic attack about to occur. My breath picks up, and I try to force myself to be calm.

Mrs Aider smiles at me, pity glistening in her eyes as I stare in shock at her, now rooted to a spot.

My instinct is to sprint back home, yet that would be really rude.

Mrs Aider grins and steps towards me, "Hello, love. It's been a long time since we've spoken! Are you alright?" She asks, her kind voice somehow relaxing even though I am one minute from collapsing.

I grit my teeth, hoping she didn't see, and smile, "Yeah. Yeah– I'm alright, thanks." I say, quietly. "Oh– How are you?" I ask as an afterthought, knowing she'll think I'm awful if I don't ask her in return.

Mrs Aider only smiles, however, and comes closer, resting her hands on the fence. "I'm ok, thank you."

"You– Um, you're– Moving?" I ask, the stutter in my words all too noticeable.

The kind woman nods, and turns to look at the cottage, "Yes, dear. Unfortunately it's time for us to move on. You see – Eric– my husband, isn't well...So we're going to move in with his family." She says, gesturing at the house aimlessly. She looks forlorn and I wish I could comfort her, but I find that I'm almost speechless.

"I'm– I'm so sorry..." I say, smiling at her. I take note that this is the first time I've smiled at someone in person for a long time.

"No worries, dear. Though I have to say: I'll really miss it here. It's just so beautiful." She says, smiling sadly up at the gorgeous stone walls, which are suffocated by ivy and honeysuckle, which crawls up the walls much like my own house.

"Do you– Um– Know who's moving in then?" I ask, genuinely curious to find out who my new neighbour will be.

"We don't, actually. The housing company only told us that someone wants to move in– they'd seen the house online, and bought it." Mrs Aider says, "All I know is that they're moving all the way from... California...I think?" She adds, pondering the information.

I give a small nod and murmur, "Oh, right", whilst looking down at the ground, shuffling my feet against the earthy woodland floor beneath me.

Mrs Aider seems to notice my restless, socially awkward actions, and gestures to the house, "Well, dear. It was lovely talking to you, but it's getting late. We should both get back inside and stay warm. It's getting cold." She says with a smile, patting me on the shoulder and taking a small step away from the fence.

I flinch at the affection, not at all used to it, and gasp at the warm – almost comforting – sensation it sends up my body. Human touch is something I'm very starved on, so to feel someone show kindess towards me like that is mind blowing.

"Right. Yeah." I say, and tug my hood further over my eyes, before speed walking back towards my house, not daring to look back in the direction of my neighbour.

I slam the front door behind me, and lock it, before throwing myself at it, my back hitting the surface hard. I slide down so I'm sitting on the doormat, and press my hands against my face aggressively. I sigh loudly and take deep breaths.

I check my watch, only to be in even more shock that I need to start streaming in 15 minutes.

∆•°°•∆