20. Sudden Realization

Ms

Ms. Davis dismissed us from class and the school day was officially over. I felt relieved that it was because today felt everlasting, and I hadn't eaten a subtle breakfast or lunch to keep me focused for the entire day.

After I packed up all my supplies to leave the classroom, I threw my heavy backpack over my shoulders and prepared to exit. Before I had the chance to, a familiar voice from behind me interrupted me and lured me to stay.

"Rose, what is on your pants? It looks weird," The voice stated.

Lizzie stood behind me, her hands planted on her hips. Her left eyebrow raised while the other stayed down. Tracey was behind her, and her facial expression looked similar to hers. They looked at me as if someone had asked them a question that would keep them up all night.

"My pants? What's wrong with them?" I queried, glancing down at them as my nose wrinkled.

"The back of it," Tracey answered. "It has something yellow and gooey on it. It looks strange."

I scanned the back of my bleached jeans with horror. My eyes widened as if I saw a ghost. I could not see the yellow substance on my pants thoroughly, but from my view, whatever is on it looks spine-chilling.

I don't remember sitting on anything yellow, like paint or mustard. When I arrived at English, I automatically plopped myself in my chair without scrutinizing it beforehand. I did feel something gooey the moment I sat down—but I didn't investigate it because the teacher started the class promptly.

"Now I see," I muttered, continuing to gawk in horror at my pants. "Let's stop by the bathroom to see if we could fix this."

Based on how the stain appeared on my light blue jeans, the stain was beyond fixable with only water, but I'd try anything to make it unseen. Tracey and Lizzie nodded curtly as I started to head towards the door. Before I had the chance to exit, I was caught off guard by howls of obnoxious classmates that were directed to me.

"What is on that girl's pants? Did she have an accident or what?" One student snickered, followed by other obnoxious chuckles and giggles.

I dug my head into my bare, sweaty hands. My cheeks flushed cherry in embarrassment. Why do some people have cruel hearts, or worse, no heart at all? I clearly did not have whatever I sat on for a purpose. It was by accident. I didn't even know that it happened until now.

"Leave her alone," Tracey growled at the group, her calm expression fading into an irritated one.

"Yeah, why don't you pick on someone else?" Lizzie added with a snarl.

The group's snickers became louder as they tried their best to cover their mouths with their hands. Apparently, their strategy to stop laughing was not working. My accident still appeared to be a laughable joke to them.

"Okay, okay," A person said, attempting to hide their uncontrollable giggles.

Their gazes turned to something that was on one of their phones, instantly making their giggles stop and whispering begin. I can tell that it's some type of gossip or something. Whatever it is, I'm glad I'm not their focus of attention because of a yellow stain that resided on my butt.