01. Stick To The Status

Specks of sunlight peeked through the glass windows of the classroom, reflecting off of students who paid no care to it

Specks of sunlight peeked through the glass windows of the classroom, reflecting off of students who paid no care to it. I shielded my eyes with my hands, paying no interest to whatever happened outdoors. Decorations with pastel hues draped from the ceiling. The foot of them draped in front of the shutters, making the classroom look like a colorful environment.

The corner of my eye focused on the students beside me, Bianca Stewart and Morgan Allen. They snuck peeks at their laps where their phones lurked. What they were doing was apparent since the two of them are inseparable friends. At Westdale, they are known for being the gossip girls of the popular clique.

Whenever they walk in the broad corridors of this school, several eyes turn to them in awe. Sometimes, I wish that could happen to me. Whenever I walk down the halls, I don't gain any attention, especially from the elites.

If only people like me could get as much attention as them.

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard the clatter of the teacher's heels brush against the floor. They were louder than the birds that chirped a melodious tune outside. She walked to where Morgan and Bianca were, her calm expression fading into a disappointed frown.

Ms. Davis is passionate about her students learning in her class. If she sees anything suspicious that is distracting to learning, she is always the first to address it. It appeared that she only had a few years of experience as a teacher based on how young she looks, but she is one of Westdale High's finest teachers.

"Ahem," Ms. Davis cleared her throat, her hands planting to her hips. "Why do you two keep looking down at your lap? What is making it more important than my lesson?"

Several eyes turned to the three as if they were the spotlight of a school theatre performance. I tapped my fingers on my desk that was hard as stone as everyone waited for an answer from one of the girls.

Both of their mouths stayed still like frosty ice stuck to a pond. Bianca exchanged a hesitant glance to Morgan she turned to Ms. Davis, her glare getting sharper within every moment.

"Well . . . it's n-nothing. We were just l-looking down at o-our laps." Morgan stammered, attempting her best to sound normal.

"Nice try, Ms. Allen, but I don't believe you—" Ms. Davis sighed before being interrupted by the blaring noise of the last bell that rang.

It was louder than an elephant's roar. The bell echoed throughout the corridors of the building and in the classrooms. Everyone turned to their backpacks as they packed their things to leave.

"Class is dismissed," Ms. Davis announced while looking at the clock that resided in front of the classroom. Her stern glare turned back to Bianca and Morgan. "If I ever catch you two on your phones instead of paying attention in my class, things will not go well. You should never take advantage of your education."

Bianca croaked, making her biggest eye roll possible. "We get it, Ms. Davis. Have a lovely day."

She stormed out of the classroom quicker than the speed of lightning. Morgan followed her soon after, cursing complaints under her breath as silent as possible. Ms. Davis let out an enormous groan as she trudged back to her desk, her eyes focused on the endless amount of papers she had to grade.