10. Once In A Lifetime

I stared at the window, sunlight shining brightly inside the house

I stared at the window, sunlight shining brightly inside the house. I pondered a few things, such as Mom's reaction to Millicent's party. I didn't ask her if I could go to the party yet. I don't know how she would respond. She just has to let me go to the party. If she doesn't, I'd flip.

I've never been to a party before with people at school. I've only been to traditional parties that Mom always wanted me to have, such as my quinceanera when I turned fifteen-years-old. Nobody from school was there, only distant relatives. 

Mom, who was sitting on the couch, watched an episode of Dr. Phil. She could binge-watch it all day if she could. It's interesting how big the people that go on the show's problems are.

I sat down next to her, casually. "Mom, I have something to tell you."

"Really? What is it?" she glanced at me, lowering the TV's volume.

I muttered, nervously. "So, my friend is having a birthday party," 

She questioned, out of the blue. "Really? Who's having the party?"

"My new friend, Millicent Campbell." I ignored the interrogating look on her face.

Mom is a very suspicious person. She suspects anything and everything. It's not like she's wrong of being suspicious. She just cares about everyone.

She mused. "Her name sounds familiar. Isn't she the daughter of my boss at work? Gianna Campbell?" 

"Yes, Mamá," I reply, remembering her mom

Mom brushed her hand onto my long, brown, sleek hair. "That's nice. Did you get invited?"

"Yeah, I did." I nervously laughed, casually grabbing a nearby magazine.

She declined. "Oh. I don't know if you should go—" 

I expected her to say something like that. Both of my friends, Lizzie and Tracey's parents agreed to let them go to the party. Why can't I? 

I complained, crossing my arms. "But, Mom! I just need to go to this party! I've never been to any parties with people from my school! It isn't fair. And I'm sixteen, Mom! Not five-years-old! Can I least make one choice for myself?"

I know that I'm probably overreacting right now. But, I just can't stand not going to this party. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Not something that can happen every day.

"I'm only saying this because I don't want you to lose your focus on everything else, like school. It's for a reason I'm saying this." she sighed, rubbing her eyes, "When I was your age, I didn't complain about going to parties and I still survived."

Mom and her traditional, Mexican ways. She doesn't understand the concept of fun things, like parties. These days, parties are considered cool. I know that I won't get distracted by attending this party, or being friends with Millicent and Mercedes, in fact.