22. Sentence and Response

I blankly stared at myself on the stainless glass mirror of the girls' restroom

I blankly stared at myself on the stainless glass mirror of the girls' restroom. My hands swept from my porcelain face to my chocolate hair. My eyebrows furrowed as I squinted my eyes.

For the past twenty-four hours, I felt unfamiliar sensations. I couldn't ponder on what they were, but I knew why I felt them. It felt as if I were walking on a path, but didn't know where I was going, so I kept walking back and forth, to and fro—wondering where to go.

Yesterday at lunch period, two special—unforgettable things happened. Both of them caught my attention. They were all I could think about. It's like my mind doesn't have any space to think about anything else.

Standing up to Millicent was bold of me. Most students at Westdale wouldn't have the guts to do something like that to the queen bee of the tenth grade. Heck, I wouldn't have stood up to Millicent if I didn't feel infuriated about the situation.

Since a lot of students at Westdale adore Millicent, they'd stick at her side. She's glitz and glamorous to them—even if she's not.

Don't get me wrong. I do not want to start a revolution between me and her. Most people would take her side anyway, but now, I don't want to take sides. I want to be free. Being free is a lot better to be normal, like me than to be used by popular snakes that slither through the bristles of lush grass, waiting to catch their prey.

Hanging out with Tyler during lunch period yesterday opened my eyes about what popularity is like through an introvert's perspective. I knew that he wasn't lying. Maybe some popular people here love being well-known, especially since they'll get attention from people of all cliques.

Yesterday when we were hanging out, I felt many various sensations. One part felt bad for Tyler, and how he doesn't seek attention, but he continues to get more without his wish. Another part of me felt a weird, unrecognizable feeling I never felt before.

I had this strange urge creep up my veins, telling me to comfort him. I couldn't hold anything back, so I did. I also wanted to show him that I could be a great person to him, which fortunately succeeded.

After a few minutes of speaking with each other, things started to escalate. I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who felt it.

There was one point where he got close to my face. My mouth dropped wide open with shock and excitement. I knew that something was about to happen, but my hopes dropped to the ground when we were interrupted by Landon.

I can't blame him for calling Tyler to see their basketball coach for whatever reason. It would have been a tad bit better if he would've just waited for everything to happen. But whenever a great moment is about to happen, there's always someone or something to accidentally—or purposely interrupt it.

My mind couldn't seem to get off of what happened yesterday. Every time I tried to think about something else, my mind wandered to something related. After, it bounced back to the near-kiss incident—which is what I will call it from now on.