11. Ready or Not, It Inches Closer

"Are you ready for the party?" Mom questioned, tapping her chin in thought

I gulped anxiously, glancing in the mirror. "I'm ready as I'll ever be."

Today is the day of Millicent's party. Instead of feeling one-hundred percent excited about it, I feel doubtful and nervous. Over there, there will mostly be popular students at school. They'll see us as a piece of ten-day-old gum stuck to the bottom of their shoes. However, I'm still attending the party. I can't ditch it, especially since it'll be considered rude. I already made it official that I was going to come.

I'm definitely not ready for this party. 

"I can tell that you're nervous." Mom set an arm over my shoulder.

"I'm f-fine." I stuttered apprehensively, "Don't worry."

"Roselynn Mariana Jiminez-Cruz..." she stated my full name sternly, "I can tell that you aren't okay, mi amor!"

When she says my full name, that either means that I'm in trouble or that she spotted a lie I told. In this case, I slightly lied about being fine. Deep down, I'm not. I feel like I'm going to melt into a puddle of slime if this keeps happening.

"You're right, mamá." I glanced at the spotless floor.

She beamed, trying to lift my spirit. "You'll be fine!"

"I hope." I took a deep breath, trying to remain calm.

Right then, my phone starting buzzing, distracting me from what was going on. I powered it on and immediately viewed a text message from my brother.

Rafael: Where are you? The party will start soon. I've been waiting in the car for about fifteen minutes. 

Me: Don't worry! I'm coming outside now. 

Rafael: Okay! I'll see you there!

I frantically shoved my phone into my small purse, opening the front door. There's no time to waste.

"Well, it's time to go now. I'll see you later, Mom!" I hesitantly walked out the door, glancing back at Mom, who was grinning.

She beamed, closing the door behind me. "Bye, mija! Have fun!" 

The sun was high, the air felt warm, the birds were chirping, and the trees of the neighborhood stood firmly in their place. My hair looked perfect and my smile was bright. It's supposed to be boosting my confidence, but instead, it's lowering it.

My sweaty, shaking hand pulled the car door. I instantly slouched down in the back seat, glancing towards the front. Rafael was in the driver's seat. In the passenger seat, there was an unfamiliar girl who looked the same age as my brother.