24. Prom Night (1)

The teddy bear Tyler gave me was all I could think about as I rushed downstairs

The teddy bear Tyler gave me was all I could think about as I rushed downstairs. It was like it was the best stuffed animal I've ever had. In fact, it is. Not only because it was gifted to me by Tyler. It was because it marked something special that happened to me.

A few months ago, I would not expect that to happen. I believed that only elites attend prom—and similar school events in general. I believed that being popular was amazing for everyone. I believed that people have to be popular in order to date anyone they wanted.

But now, I don't believe that anymore.

I know that no matter what clique you're in, good things can still happen to you, such as going to prom with a person you admire. I know that cliques don't determine who a person is. I know that anything is possible—no matter how much doubt you have.

After a long month of waiting, the day has finally arrived. The day of prom. Mere words can't express how excited I feel about attending it. I want to jump up and down with excitement, like a kid finding out they got something they wanted for Christmas. But for the sake of my energy, I won't do that.

Instead of staying in bed until two in the afternoon like I normally would on a Saturday morning, I got up at nine AM and instantly started getting ready. With the help of Mom, I managed to get a dress that made me look amazing.

The scarlett red dress managed to reach the ground, brushing against it as I walked. Below my chest, a matching red ribbon was tied around in a bow. It made the dress look better than me, rather than just letting the dress hang down on me.

Some people would think that the dress is new, but the truth is that it's not. Instead of going to the mall to buy an overpriced dress that I would only wear once, Mom decided to be reasonable and nice enough to lend me a dress that was hers when she was my age.

I'm sure that some people would think that it was "tacky" of me to do that if they find out, but I don't care. As long as I have a dress good enough to wear to prom and a date, I'm guaranteed to enjoy it. Fortunately, I already have both of them.

I met Mom at the front door. One hand was on her hip, while the other clouded over her eye. She dabbed her eye with a tissue before sobbing a waterfall out of her eyes. I could tell that she wasn't crying sad tears. She was crying tears of joy.

"You kids grow up so rápido," she sobbed with a smile. "It was like you were un bebe yesterday. Now you're older. . . and you're going to your first prom."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes playfully as she continued sobbing. Sometimes, I wondered why some parents would get super emotional over certain things and always mutter out five words. They grow up so fast.

Maybe I don't understand because I'm not a mother. If I ever became one, then maybe I'd understand. Maybe being a parent hits differently than not being one. But for now, I don't want to know.