21. More or Less

The calming breeze of the wind blew against my hair, causing me to shift over to under the bleachers of the football field more

The calming breeze of the wind blew against my hair, causing me to shift over to under the bleachers of the football field more. Outside the school had more people residing in it than usual because of today's unusually hot weather.

Today, I decided to buy some snacks from a vending machine instead of getting something better to eat in the lunchroom. I'm not going to risk going inside the cafeteria and get noticed by dozens of people who want to hang out with me.

My friends aren't here to keep me company. Instead, they decided to practice basketball in the gym. If it weren't for the argument between Millicent and Rose that happened today, I would've joined them. That argument made me feel various emotions inside. Someone other than me knows who Millicent is inside—cold and deceiving.

It's a truth that hardly anyone believes. The people who believe that she's glitz and glamor were unfortunately put under her spell. They won't know the harsh reality of her, unless they have been a victim of her wrongful game themselves.

I'm proud of Rose for sprinkling a rare spice into Millicent that hardly anyone else would dare to do—and that spice is reality. There is a ninety-nine percent chance that she'll refuse the truth, but she deserves to know it anyway.

I felt a light tap on my shoulder, directing me to turn around. Rose stood there, her faint smile spreading broader as she saw my face. I motioned her to sit down on lush, green grass that felt as soft as a pillow.

"Hey! Thanks for coming," I greeted her warmly.

"You're welcome!" She chuckled as she plopped herself on the ground.

We spent a couple of minutes gazing at the football players who threw the football from person to person, scoring it inside goal accordingly. The silence between us intensified, getting more awkward by every moment that prevailed.

The only thing that wasn't awkward was the way we were positioned. We are sitting close to each other, but our shoulders aren't touching.

"So, why did you invite me here?" Rose inquired as she wiggled her fingers.

"I was here alone, and I didn't want to be alone," I replied with a shrug. "I know that I should've arranged for this another time since it's lunch now."

"Nah, that's alright. I'm not hungry anyway," she cocked her head towards me, nudging the bag of potato chips beside my legs. "But can we share those Cheetos? I could use something to eat."

"Sure thing," I answered, beaming as my face glistened through the sunlight from above.

I opened the bag of chips and handed it to her. She dug her hand inside the bag and took a handful of Cheeto puffs, the orange dust sticking to her fingers. She pushed the bag onto the grass, separating both of us. I took a few chips and forced them into my mouth, savoring each cheesy, yet salty bite.