08. Hesitation

"Yes! I'm so glad it's Friday! That means tomorrow is officially the weekend!" I squealed in excitement

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are the best days of the week. Mainly because there's no school. And, I won't have to deal with annoying teachers and students. I can relax and sleep all day.

"Same! Too bad that there are only five hours until school is over." Lizzie glanced at her smartwatch.

"Yeah! I can't wait!" I raved, digging into the front pocket of my backpack.

I'm looking for my phone, which isn't anywhere in sight so far. That's probably because my front pocket is filled with sticky notes, which I passed in class with friends. Sometimes, it's too risky to text in class. You have to communicate in the old-fashioned way.

A thick piece of paper falls on the floor. At a closer inspection, it was my invite to Millicent's birthday party. Before I could grab the invite, Tracey gets it and starts reading it out loud. I still haven't told my friends about the party. I guess they'll find out now.

"You have been invited to Millicent Campbell's birthday party!" Tracey raised an eyebrow, "You got invited to her party?"

Lizzie glared at me, crossing her arms. "You actually got invited to Millicent's party?"

Judging the demanding looks on their faces, they want an explanation of everything. I mean, if I were them, I would want one, too. Especially since it's Millicent's party we're talking about. Literally, everyone at school knows who she is. 

"Yes, I did." I shrugged, retrieving the invitation.

The two of them stood dead in their tracks, frozen. They raised a suspicious eyebrow at me.

Tracey stopped and peered intently at the invitation in my hands. "How is this possible? People like her never notice people like us!" 

"Well, you see, she just invited me to the party after helping her study for history class. That's probably why. I don't know. You two are also invited!" I concluded, "I'm definitely going!"

"That's nice, I guess." Lizzie slightly frowned, "Why do you want to go to this party, anyway? It probably won't be fun."

She does have a small point. The popular students at school are into things I don't find interesting, such as fashion and sports. But maybe their parties are at least interesting.

"It'll be a dream to go to her party!" I raved, glancing at my smartwatch, "Anyway, class starts soon. I need to get to PE."

"Bye!" Lizzie started to walk down the hall, "See you later!"

Tracey and I waved, already walking to class. "Bye!"

Soon, my most-dreaded class, PE would start. That means sweating for no reason and smelling like outside. If I could, I'd skip class today. But at the same time, I don't want to be marked absent for skipping class. Eventually, Mom would find out and I'd be grounded for the longest time.