00. Prologue

Let's just face it

Let's just face it. We all have friends, right? I mean, is there a single person out there who hasn't had a friend their entire life? Or if not a friend, at least someone who's had their back during a difficult situation? No one is entirely alone, even if they feel like they are.

Certainly, everyone at Westdale High School has someone like that. A friend, a sidekick, a loyal supporter. No matter what clique they belong to, everyone has someone. And the higher ranking clique you're in, the more friends you have. That is—the more trusted people you have standing by your side.

Having a lot of friends practically doubles your chances of getting a nice boyfriend.

I've read various romance novels and watched a lot of movies about all that sappy stuff. They all make it look ridiculously easy to seduce guys and fall in love. But in reality, it's way more difficult. I've always wanted a boyfriend, but no one has ever bothered to ask me out. I've waited patiently for years for something to happen and nothing ever has. When will someone actually notice me?

Unpopular people at school, like me, deserve some type of recognition from the popular students. We've endured a lot, more than you'd think. More than we show. People say it's not easy being famous, but it's a heck of a lot harder to be at the bottom of the food chain, always under people's feet. I would know.

I want that to change. I want the power, the boyfriend, the adoration. I'll wait forever to get it if I have to, no matter how long that forever takes. Or maybe—just maybe—the solution to all my problems lies in climbing the Westdale social ladder. After all, the more popular I am, the more people I'll know, and the more boys will be looking my way. If I can't change the social order I may as well change my place in it.

Of course, I'm not a nerd or a geek. I'm just an average student. Totally normal. I could be doing worse, if I'm being honest. Still, I don't doubt that no one wants to be in my place; no one envies my lot in life. I'm not special.

I do have friends—like I said, everyone does. They're sweet and fun, and I care about them deeply. But we're unlike in one way: they don't share my opinions about popularity. They think that being popular, belonging to the cool cliques, is just some tacky joke. 

They look down on the queen bees and male heartthrobs of my school. What they don't understand is that I would give anything, absolutely anything, to be friends with one of them—with one of the cool kids— just for a day.

Anything.

I wouldn't care if it was a romantic relationship (my ultimate dream) or even just a simple friendship, as long as I could get a small taste of that sweet popularity. I mean, it isn't just a tacky joke, is it, being part of that other, popular world? Not for me, anyway. 

It's something more serious, something which would change my life. And the popular students look friendly. They're attractive and they're always laughing with each other. It's not like they're predators or anything. Right? Right.

What could possibly go wrong?