23. Sweet Talk

My mind is a mess with the memories of two days ago when Rose confronted me

My mind is a mess with the memories of two days ago when Rose confronted me. It caused me to bump into strangers as I walked through the busy corridors of school. It felt anything but normal. The way most people have treated me since is absurd.

Instead of people clearing the way for me to walk in busy hallways, most people stood where they were and ignored the fact I was there. Instead of people gazing at me from head to toe, people whispered as soon as they saw me.

If there was one place I didn't want to be, it was school. I don't want to deal with people looking at me like I'm crazy. I just want to be at home in my room, where no one at school is.

Believe it or not, there is probably some gossip going around right now that is about me. So far, it seems like it isn't good. I will have to do everything I can to protect my reputation and social status at Westdale. I worked hard to build it, so I can't let it crash down already.

For starters, I will make sure my appearance looks decent enough for the few hours left of the school day. I made a U-turn to the nearest girls' restroom, and Mercedes followed. There were only a few girls in the restroom who were applying make-up, adjusting their hair, or washing their hands.

I approached an idle sink and took out a few make-up products. I took a quick second to stare at Mercedes at the corner of my right eye, and then turned back to the mirror.

"I'm just so confused right now," I mused, more to her than myself. "Why are people treating me so differently."

"What do you mean?" Mercedes asked as she adjusted an earring.

"People don't treat me like I'm the queen bee anymore. They don't stare at me when I walk through halls, or even compliment me," I groaned, taking out a make-up brush from my cosmetic bag. "It's happened ever since Rose decided to confront us where everyone could see and hear."

"Maybe you should've walked away as soon as she started talking the other day," she said. "It would've saved you a lot."

"It would've worked," I started, "if you at least told me as soon as the incident started."

"I didn't think about it then," Mercedes stated.

"Whatever. The situation is over anyway," I frowned, combing a hand through my hair.

Every strand of my wavy hair wasn't tangled. They were just fine. Except for the fact the curls didn't look. . . good enough. They lacked volume and didn't look shiny, not even through the artificial life of the restroom.

I opened my backpack and rummaged through everything in there. As hard as I looked, all I could see were textbooks, folders, notebooks, stationary, and a stash of tampons. Nothing in my backpack would be beneficial for my hair. In fact, I didn't even have a hairbrush. Normally, I'd have one, but I've forgotten it at home.

I turned to Mercedes, who silently stood in front of the mirror, wrapping her natural curls into a high ponytail.

"Do you have any hairspray or something?" I questioned with a frown. "I could use some right now."