Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"You said you never have been on a boat before.  So how does it feel?" He asked from where he sat across from me in the canoe. 

I felt my smile grow, looking down at the boat and at the slightly rippling water in the otherwise still lake.  We were in the middle of the beautiful and private lake, all surrounded by pines and maples.  The paddles that penetrated the crystal water stopped moving.  Luke was rowing but stopped upon his question, waiting for a response.  We had just come out here after he showed me this little boat that was wrapped in the woods.  Apparently, it was his families and they kept it up here to use it as they wished. 

"I love this," I said, looking down at my distorted reflection from the light waves.  It was amazing, to know we were over water and not wet or in the water at all.  This was really new to me.  

I glanced back up and saw Luke took hold of both handles of the paddles and start rowing, moving the canoe around and across the lake.  I couldn't help my eyes from finding his strong arms at work, the muscles he possessed tight with every pull.  When I met his eyes though, his smile slightly dimmed at seeing I was observing him.  I chuckled and raised my eye brow, hiding my embarrassment at being caught as best as I could by teasing.  He smiled slightly, looking away and scoffing himself.  This was interesting. 

"Have you ever tipped over before?" I asked.

He offered a smile to me again, the jade in his eyes lighting up from the sunlight.  The trees no longer shadowed us as we were now in the center of the lake, and still moving smoothly.

"Once before.  Why, are you afraid of tipping?" he asked, and as he paddled, he lifted one from the water a little sharper and purposefully splashed me a bit.  I gasped slightly, lightly jumping and heard his laughter.  It was only a few drops but it was still surprising. 

As he laughed, I flipped him off and couldn't help laughing myself.  "No, but can't a girl wonder around here?" I also couldn't go without mentioning the slight discomfort I was staring to feel.  "My ass is bound to be sore soon enough though. You need some padded or cushioned seats in this bitch."

He chuckled and continued to paddle around the lake.  We were silent for a minute, only listening to the sound of the birds and trickle of water as he paddled.  It was peaceful and nice, relaxing. 

"Are you alright with me asking you a few more questions?" He asked, eyes showing a little hesitation when they met mine.

I sighed.  "I guess.  But I want my turn eventually."

He nodded, understanding.  And soon, we were back to him asking me shit and me answering with surprising honesty.  But really, wimpy sounding or not, I still liked speaking with him.  He wasn't judging me like others did.  He was forming an opinion based on the actual truth. No matter if he bought what I said or not, he still understood that is was real to me.  What ever I had to say, he trusted I had been through it. 

"What do you want to know now?  Since I am the most interesting person you know and you worship my very existence."

He smile and took a small breath.  Then, he spoke.  "You told me about your dad before.  But would you ever want to see him again or meet with him?"

I was a little surprised by this question.  I was expecting something about Clare or something along the lines of my treatment around town like before.  Plus, he asked about my dad before but since he was asking again, it raised a brow on just what it was that drove him to ponder over such an absent son of a bitch. 

It took me a minute to answer.  I never thought about it, surprisingly.  I couldn't imagine what it would be like to face him, talk to him.  What would I say?  How would I even feel about talking to him?  "I'm not really sure.  It would be interesting but I wouldn't care to have him involved with my life."