Chapter 34

Chapter 34

"You... you can't be serious," Luke said, looking at the doctor with narrow eyes, anger radiating from him. Luke was trying his hard to stay strong and deal with that but really, he was still shocked. He didn't know what to think. His defenses were up right away though as were mine. Looking at Luke as he faced the doctor, I saw there was more in his eyes, something between panic and alarm. He shook his head, still showing his anger, hiding his pain and worry.

I understood where his anger was coming from. Because he was absolutely not looking at me in that way. Christ, figures it was the damn doc that saw, the one that knows my mother.

Scoffing, I saw his eyes found mine. "Yeah, who do you think you are? To accuse us for being attracted to each other... because we make eye contact? That’s what people do: glance and look at each other when communicating!”

The doctor only continued to smirk. “You’re right. But there is a difference between looking at each other and staring with want.”

“We were not!” I said, cracking up at how fucked up this guy was. I mean maybe I did a few times. But I'm positive he wouldn't stare at me like that, even though I didn't look at him long enough during the appointment to make sure.No wonder he didn’t have a clue. “We were too busy mocking you to bother. Even if we were attracted to each other, you wouldn't be able to tell. You are a clueless doctor who doesn't even know how to see a patient of his is not insane!"

Luke gave a hard yet shaky sigh beside me after I was finished speaking. Turning to him, I saw he was looking down at me with fury over the doctor, stifled behind his eyes. "Albany," he said as calmly as he could. "We are going. Let him think what he wants."

"Oh hell no, he deserves a good ass beating," I said.

"No he doesn't. If he wants to be an idiot, let him."

Then, after we went through the door, as soon as Luke got my prescription, we left that damned place. The damage that stupid doctor created was done and it was so obvious the whole drive. What was better? We now had another stop to make: the drug store. All I wanted was to be away from Luke and this clear tension through silence. Not once did he speak or bring that up. He was still upset over the whole thing. I was just feeling awkward around him. 

***

I still couldn't believe he would accuse us of that. But to say we both are looking at each other, in that way... How could he have been serious? He couldn't have been. No matter how observant he is, I wouldn't believe it. I didn't want to know the condition my heart would be in to just think about Luke looking at me with attraction.

True, I was attracted to Luke and looked at him; maybe Blake possibly was able to see that attraction for him. But how the fuck does he go about blaming Luke for doing the same, looking at me with desire? The thought was impossible, wrong, and made my breath pick up. He couldn't have looked at me like that. I don't even need to explain how wrong that would be on a number of levels.

Both of us telling the doc how he was wrong on all accounts, it was clear we were in agreement that what he said was out of line and not true. But after leaving the office, it couldn't erase the tension that grew. It didn't help I was so close to him either in the truck as we drove when; the awkwardness between us was so thick.

The longer time passed, the more silence there was and I was becoming slightly worried. It seemed to have hit him harder than it did me for some reason. Maybe because I actually was attracted to him and he wasn't. It had to be more of a shock to him. But... something just wasn't right. Watching Luke out of the corner of my eye, I saw both of his fists on the wheel were clenched tightly. His face all stone, all for his eyes. We only made eye contact once and it had the impact of a dozen glances. Because his eyes... they were filled with more than the reason for tension, the anger at the doctor. A sadness or guilt.