Chapter 36

Chapter 36

It was kind of ironic if you think about it. Today, my and Francis's goal was to stay distracted. To try to not think about Luke or anything that would bring up pain. And the two people I was around today had the opposite effect. Francis reminded me of Luke. Brook reminded me of Emily. Thanks, once again for fucking with me, God.

The first time I met Brook, she got scared and afraid I would cut her open.  It ended with Jan taking her in the other room.  But now... she seemed more open and a little more trusting.  I had to assume Francis had a talk with her on how to behave. 

After we got banana splits at a small restaurant, I noticed Brook's started to relax a bit more around me.  And because of that... I honestly had no clue on how to act around her.  I mean, she reminded me of Emily - to the point where my stomach would occasionally twist every time I looked at her.  Plus, I really don't know how to behave around kids.  When I took care of Emily, I was pretty much still a kid myself.  With how old I am now, I didn't have the slightest clue.  It was strange because me and Francis were quite a like, personality wise, and he knew how to act.  But hello, maybe that's because he was a father.

"Daddy?" Brook asked from the backseat as we were driving back to my house. 

"What baby?" He asked her, still keeping his eyes on the road ahead.  Along with how he cleaned himself up, it was now apparent he could drive.  For some reason, I had assumed he couldn't.  Maybe just because I never saw him drive in the past. 

"Can we go to the park today?"

Francis glanced over to me in question.  I smiled but I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to go.  Going out to get banana splits put me on edge enough.  I didn't want anybody recognizing me - and especially at a park with kids around. 

"Albany?"

I sighed.  "You know, you can just drop me off at home and you guys go ahead."

Francis pursed his lips, understanding.  Hazel eyes still focused on the road, he gave a large sigh.  Before he could say anything to that though, I was surprised to hear Brook speak up. 

"I want Albany to go," she said.

That made both me and Francis take a second to pause and glance at each other in confusion and surprised at hearing her say that.  I don't know what it was that made her want me around.  I was being very nice to her and her dad but I could still tell she had been uncomfortable with me.

"Really?" I asked, turning to look at her. 

Her big beautiful blue eyes met mine and she smiled shyly for a moment.  "Yeah."

After I faced forward again and looked back out the window of the car, not knowing what to say, I turned back to stare at Francis at him making the conclusion it seemed.

"Well then, prepare yourself, Higgins," Francis said, looking to me as he continued to drive.  He gave me a playful smirk I couldn't help but return.  "The park is full of dangers.  Screaming kids, crazy mothers, and too much excitement to handle," he said in all seriousness.

I chuckled and shrugged.  "Well, I guess we are going to the park then."

***

"Can I try the monkey bars today?" Brook said to her dad, looking up to him with those pleading blue eyes.  She held her hands together as if praying he tell her yes. 

I looked up at the monkey bars a few feet away from where we were all standing on the mulch.  Luckily for me, there weren't too many kids here today.  That was according to Francis anyway.  He said in relief that today, we had the whole park to ourselves.  I hadn't ever played at a park before so I was the one here with no experience whatsoever.