Chapter 46

Chapter 46

“This is absolute bullshit,” he murmured just as we walked into my history class. I sighed, knowing he would get pissed. But hell, in my eyes, today was going great. Just imagine what he would have thought yesterday.

“It’s not that bad. And if I think that, what’s your issue? It’s me they are harassing after all,” I pointed out as I headed towards an area where there were two seats open. Feeling other student’s eyes following me while they also filed into class, I brushed it off and we took our seats. Since all the staff here were informed that Francis would attend all my classes with me, they would treat him as if he weren’t there. But he could still sit with me, next to me and appear as if just another student. Most students didn’t know that; they assumed Francis was another student and therefore, they gave him menacing looks as well.

“Well, I am sorry if I get a little upset at hearing kids scream at you to ‘shake your fine ass’ or to ‘get the fuck away and out of here.’ Scream at you how you are a slut, a killer, a useless bitch. I’m sorry if that bothers me Albany especially when I hear all that in just less than a few minutes ago in the hall.” Francis was clearly upset about this. I mean, he was handling it well but now, by third hour, it was just getting irritating for him. Like I said: thank god he wasn’t here yesterday.

“Damn,” I said chuckling at his scowling lips. “You’re starting to sound like Luke.”

He sat back in his chair as people around us took theirs, the whispers starting as well as the multiple stares I could feel. He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment, getting control. Opening his eyes, he glanced to me and met mine. I watched as the anger slowly drained away from his expression and all that was left was a small smile after he took in my words,

“Sound like Luke? Should I take that as a complement? After all, to you, he must have a sexy voice.”

I laughed, shaking my head. “Shut up.”

The bell rang again, signaling the start of class. Mr. Harris came into sight as he stood up from behind his desk and walked around to the front. Looking around at the kids that were still talking, his eyes caught mine and I recalled our little chat we had yesterday. His eyebrows lowered, his eyes narrowed and I smiled politely at him, waving and making Francis chuckle under his breath. We had a similar experience happen last hour with Mrs. Dugan, the one I bitched out yesterday. Unlike Mr. Harris, she kept her head down and a scowl on her face. Mr. Harris was too proud. After all, the teachers were given a strict message after Luke’s outburst in the principal’s office.

Unlike yesterday, today we had work to do. He handed us our text book and told us to define every term from chapter one. It was natural for me just to not do it, put it aside, and wait for class to end. That was my whole school career –doing nothing. Luke though wanted me to try because he said he would get me a better life, a good future. I knew he was trying so I guess I would too.

As I started on my work, I heard whispers around me but I ignored them. I also ignored Mr. Harris’s mean looks. But I couldn’t ignore what came into my eyesight as I was looking through the book.

A piece of paper slid into my vision next to my book on the table from where Francis was sitting. Sitting back, I looked at the note he passed me.

Luke was looking at you this morning. A lot. He wanted you.

Turning towards him, I met Francis’s amused eyes at my blank face. I mean, seriously? He was distracting me from my work when I am actually willing to do it. And with nonsense.

He gave me a wide smile and I shook my head, scoffing. It was too quiet – besides the constant whispers of course – to openly speak at a normal volume. I leaned closer to him and in a small whisper, used his words from earlier. “This is absolute bullshit,” I smirked. “He was not.”