Chapter 43

Chapter 43

I never thought the number six to be such a huge number.  It felt like it to me.  Six classes, six hours or more... enough time to drive me crazy.  That is, if I weren't already beyond insane.  People enjoyed reminding me of that today.

After they showed me around and to my locker, it didn't leave much time until school was about to start.  Meaning Luke had to go as well as the woman that was to be Casey's wife.  It was quite strange, to be honest with you.  I could feel that we shared something, somehow.  A similar life or past, I didn't know.  But I felt close to her already for some reason without talking to her all that much.  Once this became a realization, she came up to me as we all were standing back in the classroom.  She gave me a small smile as Luke was saying something to Casey.  "If you ever need to talk about anything, I'm always here to listen.  You might be surprised to know that I understand." Her eyes were honest and though I probably wouldn't take her up on that, it was still a nice gesture.  And who knows, if I become any more soft, I just might. She was really nice and I believed that she was understanding.  Her eyes held age that the rest of her body didn't.

"Thank you," I said, nodding to her as I smiled.  After she told me goodbye, I watched as she walked back over to her fiance. She gave him a sweet kiss and said something I couldn't here before she headed down the hall to leave the school. 

After her departure, Luke caught my eye again when he came back into my sight. His face showed torment and he slightly brushed my arm at my side, his eyes telling me he wanted to comfort me.  Standing close to me, he pursed his lips and looked into my eyes.  He could seem to find anything to say.

"Don't worry, officer.  I'll be fine. I'm tough enough to last a few hours."

"You shouldn't have to even bother to be tough to get through today.  You don't deserve this."

I shrugged, knowing he was right.  It wasn't what I deserved and it would be a shitty day.  I could count on that.  But I accepted it.  "Shit happens and life's unfair. Universal rules."

He pursed his lips, looking down.  I noticed that after she left, Casey started walking towards us; we knew school was about to start.  Luke gave me a very reluctant goodbye and as I watched him hesitantly leave, I started to see more students arrive. Before any of them noticed me yet, Casey - or rather Mr. Rush - escorted me to where first hour for me was about to begin.  I was lucky nobody noticed me as the school slowly became more populated. By the time he showed me where my first hour was without any incident, he introduced me to my new math teacher.  Mr. Cox.  This would be fun.  With that name, you knew it would be.

"Albany, this is Mr. Cox," Casey said as we walked into the room, not giving too formal of an introduction.  It was nice, the fact that it was only the three of us.  In a few minutes that would change of course.  Looking into the eyes of my new math teacher, I saw him observe me in a strange way.  His lips positioned in a straight line, his eyes slowly looked me over, as if deciding whether I was the crazy chick or not.  He had short spiky brown hair and looked to be nearing the age of 40. He had olive toned skin and wrinkles that looked permanently indented on his forehead from worry or stress. By the time we reached him and we were facing each other, I noticed he wasn't much taller than me.  He had a strong build though through his khakis and yellow button up shirt.

"Miss Higgins," he stated in a deep voice, as if just realizing who I was. The only change on his face was the raising of his bushy eyebrows, which deepened the wrinkles on his forehead.  He gave me a tight smile. "I hope you will come to find this place suitable enough for your needs." I wasn't sure what to take from that. 

I gave him a tight smile myself which I knew he could read through.  "Mr. Cox," I smirked.  "It's nice to meet you too.  I look forward to obtaining as much knowledge as I can in this soon to be magnificent class, Mr. Cox," I said sarcastically but with a light tone to hopefully steer him away from that fact. Plus, it was fun saying his name.