Chapter 2

Chapter 2

After the man escorted me inside and into a cell, he told me that he would be right back.  I wasn't sure why he would be back but I was too distracted to ask by my thoughts and the location I was in as of now.  The cell was clean for the most part, and I was in one of only six cells to begin with.  I could tell from that this place was most likely used just to hold people they arrested until they decide what will happen to them.  Most likely they were either transferred out of here to a different jail or they went home if they were bailed out. 

I just prayed Clare wouldn't bail me out.  From how my delightful mother treated me, I assume she doesn't want me back after all this time.  She didn't care about me, didn't bother to try my whole life. I just hoped she wouldn't bother now. 

My thoughts were interrupted by nearing footsteps.  Looking up from where my eyes rested on the floor, through the bars I saw that the man who brought me in stopped in front of my cell.  He had light skin with short light blond hair, his face thin as was his lips.  He looked to be in his late 30s or so. When he escorted me in and put me in this cell, I noticed that he took my bag with my weed I had with him; it burned my eyes to see it out of sight. 

"Miss Higgins?" The man asked in front of my cell.  I noticed he held an open file in his hand and he was looking down at it, reading something.  He looked up after saying my name, continuing.  "I need to ask you a few questions."

"Dude, I'll save your time.  I admit to robbing many places, I stole money and drugs, and that was my weed you took away.  Just a side note: when you take someone's weed away, that's not getting off on the right foot with them, as you are probably thinking.  I am not crazy despite what those papers say that you are reading but I won't bother trying to convince you.  When I went missing, it was because I ran away," I sighed, rolling my eyes as I knew explaining more in detail was pointless.  "But once again, I won't bother telling you why since you won't believe me.  I ran from that strange cop earlier for the same reason but I really don't care anymore about reasons.  I don't want a phone call but if I have to take one, I promise the only person I would try to call is God to ask why he gave me such a fucked up life."  I sighed.  "Does that answer all your questions?"

He scowled and it made me smirk.  I wish it was this guy that arrested me.  I was positive now I would have been able to get a proper reaction out of him instead of the other cop.  Despite his scowl, he wrote something down in the folder before hissing, "No, it doesn't."  He looked down with frustration, eyebrows bent as he was looking through the file.  "Is you're mother Clare Higgins?"

I groaned.  "Un-fucking-fortunately."

He glared at me, not appreciating my attitude and language.  Looking back down quickly, he read something else before he looked back up to me.  God, he looked like a frustrated little boy.  He asked me another question.  "She lives at 2593, Treemont road?"

Seriously? Who the hell would know after being gone for so long?  Christ, what is wrong with the cops here?  "I've been gone for a year," I said slowly.  "Last I knew, she was there but I wouldn't be surprised if she moved.  I helped with the bills so she might have started going broke without my help," I said with a smile at the thought. 

"You are off your medication I assume?  During your last scheduled appointment with your doctor, he continued with writing you prescriptions including the antidepressant and the antipsyc--"

"One, tell me how that is any of your  business.  Two, how is that relevant?"  I snapped.  "Three, I just said my piece: I'm not crazy no matter what the papers say but you won't believe me.  So move on.  Christ, you are dumb."