Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Well, one good thing came out of Luke's shitty outburst.  After he realized what he did and heard what I had to say, I think he started to feel guilty.  It would make sense considering later that night, he gave me back the freedom of being on my own; by myself and sleeping alone.  I couldn't think of a better night for this either.  Because after what he did today, I wasn't as guilty with what I was about to do as I was before. 

He caught me too many times before on too many occasions.  But tonight, I had to make sure that wouldn't happen again.  I sat up until 3:30, waiting, knowing that he would at least be on guard this particular night.  I mean, honestly, he isn't that stupid.  The first night you give a unstable crazy kid back her freedom, you can't just think everything will be okay.  No, I knew he was sitting up, watching and waiting for me to try to escape through my window or door. 

Unfortunately, I knew that I had to do this tonight and not wait another night.  Clare knew that Luke gave me my freedom back, knew that I was back in my bedroom, sleeping alone and with no one in the room watching.  I also knew she wouldn't try to come in my room tonight for the same reason I waited until after 3:00am: Luke was alert.  But if a few nights passed with me still here, showing that I was a good little daughter, he would start to trust I wouldn't do anything.  Would expect me to not try anything else if I hadn't already.  That would be my best time to escape.  When he wouldn't be expecting it.  But that would also be the time Clare would know his guard is down and come find me.  Come into my room at night and hurt me, torture me, and somehow get Luke to believe my damage would have been self inflicted.  

I had to take that risk of going tonight.  He might still be up, waiting past 3:00am.  But I wasn't sticking around any longer, not when Clare will have her chance to make a move.

I waited until 3:30 also because I hoped by that time, he would have gone to bed.  He had work in the morning and I knew that sleep was crucial, especially for a cop.  He would at least have to try to get some sleep tonight no matter how much he would want to watch and wait for a sign.  He would stay up for a while before knowing he had to go to bed.  So I assumed that by 3:30 he would have had to at least attempt sleep since he gets up early for work.

When the numbers on my clock illuminated the two threes and one zero, I quietly moved off my bed and to my closet.  Grabbing my new bag he bought me at the mall, I turned around and took in my room and I internally sighed.  Why did the guy have to be rich?  It was nice having things.  But not when I have to say goodbye to them a few days later.  I could sell some stuff but it wouldn't be worth the time or the effort.

I was already dressed and ready with a dark hoodie and jeans.  I packed a pair of warmer pants and a few shirts as well as a pair of boots.  Before you start, know that yes, I know it's summer and I was packing boots and warm clothes.  I realize that, you morons.  But being on the street required sleeping there too.  And it wouldn't be summer forever.  I wasn't looking forward to the winter months.  I'll be in a bad mood for months straight. 

As I packed, I forced myself to not touch some of the really nice clothes I liked as well as the warm comforter because that would take up too much space.  I still needed to fill the bag with enough food and water to last me enough time until I could get more later.  I was also pondering for a few hours now whether I should go into Luke and Clare's room and take some of her jewelry.  It wouldn't take much space and it would help with money.  But it was a huge risk because I could wake them.  Then, I'd be back to square one.  I didn't plan on buying drugs this time since there was no drive to anymore and really, it was too much money.  It would be different and interesting to see how well I'll do this time around since I'll require more money over time and spend it on other things I need more.