Chapter 26

Chapter 26

It finally happened. About time, if you ask me. But just because it was about time didn't mean I was looking forward to the outcome of this.

It was all over town in the span of a day - which was strange since I've been home for a while with no recognition. As if just now they discovered I was back. But honestly, it shouldn't really be that shocking. Society is fucked up and doesn't know news when they have it. However, I found out there was more to it than that just a little while after I watched the news.

After I saw it on the news, I wasn't sure what to make of it. This wasn't good was aIl I could really think. But I was prepared to face that and have been for a while before. It was only a certain amount of time before this would happen I knew. And now, it was. But when I saw my face on TV and the amount of attention other channels were giving me, I don't think there was a way to prepare mentally for it.

So a few minutes later, when I heard someone pull into my driveway, I nearly took off running towards my room to somehow hide. As if I could and would never need to face this ugly-ass world. I was so sure it was someone that found out I was home and wanted to see me. Thank god that it was Luke that walked through the door.

I sighed, relieved when I rose from my tense state on the couch. "Hey, great day today copper? Because mine is now fucked in the ass," I said casually.

He sighed as well. Coming to stand before me, his pretty eyes radiated sympathy for me. His expression told me he knew what I meant. "Look, I put it off for as long as I could."

Huh? Put what off? "What are you talking about?"

"The police releasing to the public that you have been 'found.' I put it off for as long as I was able to. But money only goes so far in helping...."

"Wait," I said, pausing. I didn't just hear him right. Because if I did, my reaction would be something like this: "You kept me being back a secret from the public? Like nobody knew until now because you paid the police off, to keep it quiet for as long as possible? Hell, can the station even do that?"

He pursed his lips, looking down and away from my eyes. It was clear that he felt bad about this. Over what, I didn't know. He looked back up at me, sadness clouding his eyes. "I'm sorry, Albany. I just wanted to protect you for as long as I could. There is enough drama that already exists. I didn't want us to have to deal with the public too."

"Sorry?" Call me soft all you want - I know I am. But I wanted to wrap my arms around him and hug him to me for that. Obviously, I held back. Instead I shifted from where I stood before him. His expression asked for forgiveness - which was unnecessary. He has done so much already. And now, I find out he's been doing this all along as well. Luke's been stalling with the release of the news that I have been back. By using his money to keep it quiet. For our own benefit. "Why should you be sorry? If it's true, then you saved us from more drama. Better that it happened now rather than before. Of course, the drama with Clare will only end with her death," I joked. "But you already knew that."

He looked stunned. "You're not mad?"

"Uh... nope." I felt the need to thank him but that still wasn't something I was really comfortable with either.

He sighed in relief at me not being upset with him. But that didn't mean we were not relieved of what was about to come. I was on edge all the time. I knew something would happen. Either the press would come knocking at the door or my friends would beat me. I wasn't sure how to feel when I realized it would be the later.

I told Luke it was okay to go back to work. Turns out that when Luke found out it was on the news, he came straight home to make sure I was alright. He wanted to stay and honestly, so did I. But we both knew how much he has already put a strain on work. First, getting me off all charges. Then paying them off. He needed to go back to work and he finally agreed after a long hesitation. When he walked back out to his car, I walked with him, reassuring I would be fine. He would be home in a few hours anyway. I would be fine. I would always be fine.