Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I soon found out why the car we were chasing was so familiar.

After minutes of traveling down the same road, behind the same car, we finally were able to see the next road.  The road in which the other cops were suppose to have blocked off by the time we got there.  And sure enough, once my eyes were allowed to see that far ahead in the distance, I saw it. 

Speeding after the car, beyond it at the corner, three cop cars were lined across the road. They were parked, the lights flashing with the cops outside of the car, waiting and ready.  It was a smart idea.  Now, we knew he had no where else to go.  If he didn't stop, he would hit the cop cars.  If he tried turning around, we were at a far enough distance behind the speeder to make sure he wouldn't get pass us.  Besides, he was going too fast to accomplish that now.  He would actually have to drive off the road to escape the cops.  And from the ditches that ran parallel to the road as well as the thick forest between houses, I don't think he would choose that option. 

And I was right, this driver didn't.  The car, when close enough to the line of blocking cars, hit the breaks and I saw the car turn this way as he was breaking - like Luke and I just experienced.  Except, he didn't try to turn around and come back our way, knowing it wouldn't work.  Because at the moment he turned and was ready to come back our way in hope to pass us, Luke hit the breaks too and slid to a stop, turning the car a little.  I noticed now that we were blocking his only real way out, the car now stopped along the width of the road.  Just enough so he couldn't pass.  This guy was stuck - and now very much screwed thanks to Luke's badass driving. 

Before I knew it, Luke was in action.  He opened his door in a flash, his belt already off as he moved.  "Stay here," he quickly said to me when he stood and swiftly moved towards the now motionless and familiar car in front of us.  He approached the crazy driver's car door, tense and ready for anything.  I heard him and the other cops yell a few things to whoever it was that stayed invisible to me and in the car where he waited in a panic, no doubt.

Luke, at the drivers door with the cautious and observing cops waiting, yanked it open.  I saw him pull the man out of the drivers seat to a standing position outside on the road.  My head tilted to my right, looking out my window.  I was able to finally see the man in which caused me a day of excitement  (though his face was still hidden with his back to me).  I would have to make sure to thank him for giving me an exciting experience. 

He took him by the arm with such force, holding him in a way that wouldn't allow the man to escape his grasp.   He held him there, the man's back still to me as Luke was facing him.  He looked alert but also calm like most cops need to be in this situation.  Words started up among the two of them but I wasn't able to hear what was said, their voices muffled.  I just knew that the man Luke held tight in a grip was speaking louder and I could tell he was pissed off.  He tried breaking out of Luke's hold as he yelled  at him.  Luke managed to stay under control with no problem it seemed - though the other cops were watching, ready for anything, tensed a little. They moved slightly closer at seeing the man wasn't cooperating. 

While the words among them continued, no matter the volume or force behind them, I couldn't put all my attention on just trying to hear them.  In fact, with his back and side to me, I was more focused on just getting a glimpse of his face.  He would turn his head and shift his body if Luke's muscles would allow and when they did, I was able to just see the side of his head.  Nothing that would let me identify him completely though. 

I wasn't sure what it was but I couldn't stop trying to get a good look at this guy.  There was just something familiar about him - his stance of figure, maybe his hair or car.... I didn't know.  The man was wearing a long black tee-shirt with baggy and ripped jean shorts that reached just past his kneecaps.  My friends usually wore those baggy type of clothes; but nowadays, which boy acting like a badass didn't?  His hair looked greasy, a brown that looked too dark and wet, combed back from what I could see.  After a year of being gone, I was still familiar with the people I knew here and everything quite clearly.  I just wasn't sure if this dude fit into my past.  He looked somewhat familiar from what I could see but I just wasn't able to put my finger on it....